"Kuba" Recipe--Comments?

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2001
      Well, I have to admit that I love the Internet.  I found a "Kuba" recipe on a educational web page about Fungi!

      The web site is:

      Excerpts from the text are:

      You can't have Christmas dinner without mushrooms! If you're very lucky you might have some chanterelles in the freezer--- you haven't lived until you've had chanterelle stuffing in your turkey--- or maybe some dried morels or honey mushrooms. You might even be able to find or buy fresh truffles or matsutake!!! Even if you have to settle for Agaricus bisporus, the white button mushroom, you're still doing pretty good--- but it's worth it to try some of the new cultivated varieties found in the grocery store, such as shiitake, oyster mushrooms, portabella, crimini, and enoki. Adolf Ceska of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada has generously provided this recipe for KUBA, a traditional Bohemian Christmas treat made with Boletus edulis or some other bolete species:

      KUBA
      1) Dice about 5 dinner buns or kaiser buns and let the cubes dry out a little. 2) Sauté about 300 g of fresh mushrooms or 30 g of dried mushrooms (rehydrated for about 1/2 hr in water) on oil or butter and add some caraway as a spice.3) Wet the bun cubes with milk (don't soak them, they should be moist, not soggy).4) Separate yolks and whites of about 3 to 4 eggs.5) Unite 70 - 100 g of butter with the yolks and add crushed garlic (3-4 cloves) to the mixture.6) Mix cubes, mushrooms (wait until they are reasonably cold), butter mixture and mix everything well.7) Add a generous amount of marjoram to the mixture.8) Beat the whites and "fold" them into the mixture (don't be too rough when mixing it in).9) Put everything into a baking dish (buttered and dusted with flour or wheatlets) and bake it at about 375 F for about 35 minutes or until the wooden spit remains dry when you pinch it in.You can cut KUBA in squares and eat it hot, warm or cold. I did not mention salt, you can use as much or as little as you want. With garlic, caraway and marjoram (some recipes call for pepper) you have enough tasteto deal with.

      I wonder if this is really a Bohemian dish or if it was/is made in Bohemia and Moravia too, any ideas?

      I would still like to receive any recipes any of you all have for "kuba."

      Thanks,
      Susan