Re: Houbový svíteck and Kuba

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2001
      --- In TexasCzechs@y..., Susan Rektorik Henley <srektorikh@j...>

      <---------SNIP---------->
      > I would like to hear anything anyone knows about Houbový
      svíteck and
      > kuba.

      I guess there are regional differences. My mother always made kuba
      for Christmas dinner. It was not served as a poultry stuffing, but
      rather as a side dish. Here is the recipe as she remembers it: (She
      is 94 now and came from the Plzen area of Bohemia back in 1922).

      Kuba

      Marie Janecka

      Kuba is a traditional Czech barley and mushroom casserole dish
      usually
      served at Christmas dinner.

      1-1/2 cups dried mushrooms 1 box barley
      1 onion 3-4 cloves garlic
      1 lb. Bacon 1 tsp. Salt
      1/4 tsp. Pepper 1 tsp. Marjoram

      Wash and soak barley overnight. Cook, strain and rinse barley
      according to instructions on box. Wash, chop, and cook the dried
      mushrooms in water until soft. Chop and fry onion until tender. Chop
      and fry 1 pound of bacon. Press garlic cloves and add to the fried
      bacon. Add salt, pepper and Marjoram. Mix all of the ingredients
      together and place into a greased baking dish. Pre-heat oven to
      400°
      and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

      Houbovy svitek, according to my Slovnik, it translates to mushroom
      pancake. Here I am just guessing, but mushrooms in the Czech
      Republic
      grow to a rather large size, as they do in the Northern U.S. (About
      6-8 inches in diameter.) When we lived up north, mother would pick
      mushrooms in the forest, slice, batter and fry them in a skillet.
      They
      resembled pancakes, about what our fried eggplant looks like.
      Delicious! But, we never used the term houbovy svitek, so it's just
      guess.

      Nazdar,
      Joe Janecka