Sweet Home area pictures

  • Marie N Gottfried
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29 3:51 AM
      On Saturday (28 July) I viewed two boxes of photos being sold as part of an estate from Sweet Home.

      I had posted this message Saturday morning using our "Post Message" site, but it did not appear on the list, so I am having to send it again as a separate e-mail address.  Therefore, in this message, I am not going to send directions to the sale (Katy, Texas) since it is over.  However, if you are interested in seeing these pictures, privately e-mail me and perhaps I can get you in touch with the couple handling the sale.

      Photos were of the Praha, Yoakum, and Cuero areas, including a few from Chicago and San Antonio.  Some family names identified were Bucek, Hajek, Grieve, Condl, and Slavik.  There are photos of schools, priests, weddings, and families.

      On another table were four daugerrotypes.  They were not identified.  I personally bought pictures of SOKOL students, Kobza, Praha church and cemetery, and Mr. Condl in his photography studio.  Prices prohibited me from buying more, but my heart ached to see such heirlooms up for sale.  Some poses showed the old-timers still dressed "Old Country".

      Marie Neuman Gottfried

    • John L. Mikeska
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29 11:06 AM
        Marie,

        What a shame the photos wee being disposed of and away from the family.  Normally the sad part of genealogy research over and over.

        Those photos are priceless and irreplaceable.  Wouldn't it have been great if they were given to the CHS, SPJST Museum for others to view, etc.

        Sir John
        Subject: [TexasCzechs] Sweet Home area pictures

        On Saturday (28 July) I viewed two boxes of photos being sold as part of an estate from Sweet Home.