[TexasCzechs] Freedom of Info Act and YOU

  • Vince Leibowitz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2000
      As a journalist who works with the Freedom of Information Act and the Texas Public Information act on a daily basis, I just wanted to share with you some quick information:

      1. The fee for a document can be waived, under FOIA or TPIA for two main reasons. They are: 1. Being unable to pay a fee, or 2. The release of the record benefits the public good. The latter will usually only work if you are a magazine, newspaper, or television writer, and sometimes if you are writing a history book, but not a genealogy book, because the former benefits many whereas the latter benefits less.

      2. Information requested for fee waiver. I have helped several 'non journalists' get records through TPIA and FOIA, and many have been unable to pay the fees. I have NEVER seen such as birage of questions like INS is asking for. Usually, you make the claim, state your income, and one or two other facts and your fee is either waived or adjusted based on a sliding scale fee. (I take that back, only the FBI asks this many questions when you ask for an FBI file, because duplication charges can run in the thousands of dollars for those of 'real' criminals.) A few years ago, on a journalism list I used to be on, there was a big stink about people suing the feds because of the fee waiver questions they ask. I have no idea whatever happened to that, but doubt it went far. If you think the questions below from INS are too intrusive, you can object to them, provide them the information you are willing to, and see if they will honor your request. Most of the time, government agencies, especially in Texas, will honor the request because it is cheaper to send you the copies than fight over your objections to their questions.

      Unfortunatly, genealogy isn't a hobby that is inexpensive. I'm sure I could upgrade my house, car, computer, pets, and goodness knows what else with the $$ i've spent doing genealogy over the years.

      Vince Leibowitz
      (Yes, I'm new to the list)

      My Czech surnames are Kupcak and Pekar.