Mac computer

  • Steve Alvarez
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2001
      Is  anyone in our group using a Mac computer.  I had someone send me a gedcom using a Mac and I can't open it since I use windows.  The person who send it to me has disappeared again.  What I would like to do is either have someone tell me how to open it.  Or Let me send it to a Mac user who can open it, create a genealogy report, then send it to me via e-mail.  Or maybe they would know how to convert it to where I could open it.

      Gerri it is our stuff.

      God Bless
      Steve Alvarez

    • Marek Blahus
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2001
        Steve,
        I guess that your problem is caused by the different file structure of Mac and Windows. Mac computers use one character (line feed, ASCII number 13) as a line break, while Windows computers use two characters (line feed, ASCII 13, and carriage return, ASCII 10). Fortunatelly, GEDCOM is a plain-text file, so you are able to open it in any plain-text editor such as Notepad (Start - Programs - Accessories - Notepad). Open the GEDCOM file by using File - Open dialog. Select "All Files" in the "Files of type" combo box. Then browse to the directory where your GEDCOM is located. Open it by double-clicking on it. After opening, normally you would see many lines of text which consists of many "strange abbreviations" and some names and places here and there. If the problem is caused by the line break problem I described above, you would see a continuous text that consists of only about a few lines (not real lines, they were created by force by Notepad, because it doesn't allow lines longer than 1024 characters). In this case, you should manually replace the Mac line breaks by the Windows line breaks to correct the problem. The Mac line breaks look like a square (filled or unfilled, it depends on the used font) - something like this:  You should delete every such square (by BackSpace or Delete keys) and immediately after deleting it press the Enter key to create a "regular" (Windows) line break. Do this with every "square" you find. Then save the file (I would recommend to save it as another file - using File - Save As...) and try to opened this new edited text in your genealogical software.

            Regards,
            Marek Blahus