Another story from the Czech Republic

  • BecMeinzer@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 28 7:00 PM
      When visiting with my Czech relatives in Micovice, Czech Republic, they
      related the following story to me which none of us in the USA had ever heard.

                    Vaclav Muehlstein was the youngest son of Matej Muehlstein and
      the youngest brother of my great grandfather, Jacob Muehlstein. He was the
      "black sheep" of the Muehlstein Family.  He worked for a brewery in the local
      area of Micovice, but he was caught poaching on a nobelman's land and lost
      his job at the brewery.  He moved to Cesky Budejovice and got a job with the
      brewery;  however, he was caught poaching again on someone else's land and he
      lost that job.  When he moved to Cesky Budejovice, he married a young lady
      (her name is Unknown).  When he lost the second job, he had little choice
      left, so he joined the Austrian-Hungarian Army.  After joining the army,  he
      died six weeks later.  My Czech relatives said he died "from a lack of
      consumption of his daily beer". I was surprised at this statement when
      translated to me, and said, "I beg your pardon.  You said he died from not
      having his daily beer?"  My relatives laughed and said yes. Later I
      determined that he died from tuberculosis.  But the family story is that he
      was an alcoholic who could have all the beer he wanted working at the
      breweries, but when he was forced to join the army, his lack of daily
      consumption of beer caused him to weaken and become susceptible to diseases,
      i.e., TB.  A daughter, Anna, was born about a month after he died, and his
      wife died shortly after Anna's death.  No information is known regarding what
      happened to Anna Muehlstein.

      Regards,
      Becky Meinzer
      becmeinzer@...
      Surnames:  KUTACH, NOVOBILSKY, MUEHLSTEIN,
      MIKES, HAVEL, KOLAR, SULAK, MEINZER,
      PUSTEJOVSKY, MERKA, CONDL