My trip to Czech Republic

  • BecMeinzer@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 19, 2001
      I had planned to give the listers of the TexasCzechs a couple of stories
      regarding my trip to the Czech Republic, but since I returned last month,
      I've been trying to get all my information together on the findings of my
      Muehlstein ancestors.  Mirek Koudelka and I spent one day in the archives at
      Trebon researching my Muehlsteins and we were able to get 3 more generations
      back.  It was fun trying to read the Parish Registers in German and Czech and
      some Latin. Note! I didn't do too much reading, Mirek did the reading, but I
      was at least able to recognize the name "Muhlstein" in the records.  I also
      spent two days visiting with my 3rd cousins (I haven't counted how far
      removed). I met my 3rd cousins Marie Muehlstein Sondova and Ladislav Sonda
      (Hacek over the S).  I met both of her daughters (4th cousins), Marie Sondova
      Hambergerova and Milada Sondova Pesekova and their husbands, Frantisek
      Hamberger and Vaclav Pesek, respectively. I then met my 5th cousins, Eva
      Hambergerova and Lada Pesek and Petra Pesek.  Lada is married to Helena, and
      I have a 6th cousin Helena (3 years old). I also met a 3rd cousin, Frantisek
      Simek whose mother was Marie Muehlstein who was an aunt to Marie Muehlstein
      Sondova. It was so much fun.  Mirek had to do all the translating, but it was
      really like being with some of my family.  They asked a lot of questions
      about my great uncle Johnnie Muehlstein and his family whom they all met 17
      years ago and the rest of the Texas Muehlstein relatives.  They showed me
      pictures of my earlier Czech Muehlstein relatives and told me all about them
      including many funny stories.  I told them funny stories on my great uncle
      Johnny and uncle Eddie who are 92 and 96 respectively.  I told them that the
      Muehlstein Family Reunion was held every year on the 4th Saturday in June
      (this weekend).  They asked me how many Muehlstein relatives there were from
      my Jacob Muehlstein line and I told them at least 200.  There are probably at
      least that many Muehlsteins from Jacob's brother, Thomas Muehlstein, who also
      immigrated to the Halletsville area.  They were shocked.  All the people I
      mentioned above plus 2 other relatives I did not meet are all the known
      Muehlstein relatives in the Czech Republic from Jacob's brother, Jan
      Muehlstein. Unfortunately, there are no more Muehlsteins names from that
      branch of the family in the Czech Republic.  It is really sad to see how the
      two brothers who immigrated thrived and had many offspring, and another
      brother Jan, have so few offspring. It is really something to think about!  I
      am taking pictures this weekend so I can send them to my Czech Muehlstein
      relatives.  I told them I would.  I am also going to do a presentation at the
      reunion on the unknown Muehlsteins that Mirek and I found in the archives.
      Would you believe that I even have the godparents to these ancient ancestors,
      as well as, the midwives who delivered them.  Well, I have to continue my
      preparation for my presentation this weekend to the Texas Muehlstein
      Relatives.  I plan to share several more stories of visits that I made with
      different Czech citizens.  I really admire and love the Czech people.  I also
      really love their food.  My 3rd cousin, Marie Sondova, invited us to come
      back and eat dinner with them on a second day.  We did, and she (age 71) made
      a big bowl of homemade noodle soup and fixed weinerschnitzel and potato
      salad.  Of course, there were two different desserts along with pivo!  The
      next story I plan to tell you is one that my Czech Relatives related to me
      about the 5th Muehlstein brother to Jacob, Vaclav Muehlstein -- they said he
      died from " a lack of consuming his daily pivo!"  I'll try to tell that one
      next week.
      Let me know if you are interested in the stories I am relating to you.  If
      you are not interested, please let me know also because I don't want to bore
      everyone.
      Dobrou Noc,
      Becky Meinzer
      becmeinzer@...
      Surnames:  KUTACH, NOVOBILSKY, MUEHLSTEIN,
      MIKES, HAVEL, KOLAR, SULAK, MEINZER,
      PUSTEJOVSKY, MERKA, CONDL
    • BecMeinzer@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 19, 2001
          Becky-

          Keep up the stories. Your first trip report was great. I am really
          amazed at how many relatives you were able to meet. That's great. I
          also envy you and your reunion. Most of the ones that we attend are
          just a few older people and a very few young ones. People are
          interested if you have pictures, etc., but no one else seems to want to
          help gather information on the family.

          Gerri

        • rubyTH@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 20, 2001
            Keep up the stories-they are very interesting. Sincerely, Roy Hranicky
          • Lois Pereira
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 21, 2001
              I enjoy the stories and it still amazes me that these people take you in
              and feed you. Sounds just like my grandmother and mother. Czechs want to
              feed the world...........lois

              [Image] [Image]

            • Judy Vondra
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                I have just returned from my trip to the old country. It is 3:30 in the
                morning here and I am wide awake. Hopefully I will soon get back to Texas
                time.
                I had overall a great trip but it had it's bad moments. I have tons of
                pictures but they are not on my computer yet. I did not find village books
                for the few villages I visited. I did find some info for a couple of people
                and I did leave some family histories behind. I will email those people
                privately. I have started transcribing my journal onto the computer. I will
                post it here if anybody is interested in hearing about my trip. I missed my
                fellow Texas Czechs but have finally caught up on all the emails.
                Na Shledanou,
                Jitka
              • Judy Vondra
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                    Judy,

                    I would be interested in hearing about your trip

                    Judy Vondra <vondra@...> wrote:
                     I will
                    post it here if anybody is interested in hearing about my trip. INa Shledanou,
                    Jitka

                    Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                  • Nangotoo
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                      >>I would be interested in hearing about your trip<<

                      I would, too, Judy.

                      Nan

                    • Judy Vondra
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 3, 2004
                        Day Four:
                        Today we awaken, still at our hotel in Celakovice and go to breakfast. I will have Corn Flakes once again, as I still can't eat luncheon meat for breakfast. It is so quiet in the hotel today as the massive group of Apostolic Members from all over the world are now gone. It is still cold outside but luckily I had bought a jogging suit jacket with hood. I cover my ears and we are off to shop again. The Vietnamese (?) have tents set up behind a small grocery store, which we shop first. The price of their clothes was similar to Wal Mart. We didnt find anything we liked there and hit the other shops. All of the textil's were owned by the Vietnamese. We go into the bakery and they have huge kolache's like I make. The bread is just lying open in bins. The bread is not wrapped and I see no flies around it. I'm shocked once again.
                        We are awaiting for Calvin and our tour guide Petr Polakovic, who are returning that expensive Skoda to the airport. We have found a car in the nearby city of Brandys nad Labem, that is $350 USD for 5 days instead of for 1 day. We search for house # 4 to take pictures of it for someone on this list who has family from that house. The house numbers have been changed (updated). Now there are 2 house numbers. One in red #125 and in blue is the old house # 4. We take our pictures and head back to our room.
                        Calvin has returned and we are now off to a Medieval Festival in a nearby village. We watch them make paper, pottery, candles, and tons of other things. The play they acted out must have been funny due to the audience laughing but we couldn't understand a durn thing.
                        We return to our room after a long day and head across the street to the pub, where we have our usual pivo, slepicka, knedlicky and kava. It seems that is the only meal other than potatoe pancakes we eat on our entire trip because that was the only food we could say in Czech other than spagety.
                        We return to our Hotel, pick up our key at the reception desk and have a few English conversations with the desk help. They all talk English. We buy many maps, a Coke and some dictionaries. We get in our room and I realize one of the dictionaries I had bought only contains four letter words (vulgar). We have no tv and an old timey radio that only has a volume button. It picks up only one station. I never missed my TLC or western channel.

                        Day Five:
                        Today we visit Letohrad, Petrovice and Vysoke Myto. We visit with the Skalicky family, a man named Frantisek Vyhyctil ( I didnt spell that right). He has been 81 yrs old since our first meeting in 1998. We finally have a good meal because our interpreter Petr is with us to order. We have a long visit with Frantisek, look at all the landmarks and then take Frantisek back home. We go to see the old Skalicky house in Petrovice. When we park to take pictures of the house, a nice little old lady comes out of the house across the street. She is so happy to see Americans and invites us in her house. We are amazed at how her house looks compared to ours. She begins to talk to our interpreter while we look at all her decorations. She then pulls out some photos of a woman named Annie Korinek who lives in Shiner Texas. She has many many many letters from Annie. She wants us to try to find out what has happened to Annie as she is no longer sending letters back to this lady. We take pictures of this lady and pictures of Annie's address in case anybody on this group is connected. We even take pictures of this lady's parents that are hanging on the wall. It is this lady's name day. Her name is Ludmilla. She offers us some candy and when we refuse it she tells us it's her name day and wants us to celebrate with her. We hate to go but we must now head back to Frantisek's  house for kava. We get into our cars and begin the drive back to Letohrad. I pull out all my emails from the people on this group. I remember somebody looking for family in Petrovice. I have found it. It is from MommaSpag -- Frances ( Hrdina ??) She is looking for the Junek family from Petrovice. I am just sick now. The lady we just left was the family I believe Frances was looking for. The lady was Ludmilla Junek. I cant go back to her house now as there are now 8 of us and 2 cars traveling and nobody willl want to turn around. Luckily, I do have all the information and some photos for Frances. We arrive back at Frantisek's house. Out comes the coffee, water, soda, and of course the liquor. We nazdravi (toast) to everything. Visit a while, take many photos and head out for Vysoke Myto.
                        We arrive in Vysoke Myto to meet the Cermak family at the Pension ( a hotel and restaurace).  We had a great visit, took many photos, and decided to retire for the night. We have blown all the fuses in both rooms using our American to Czech wall adapters and now we dont have lights.

                        Will write more later. I must try to work on this computer so I can show ya'll photos of the villages and castles, etc. This journal is just a story with a few tips to help anybody who might be planning a trip to Czech Republic.It would be much more interesting for everybody with the pictures. Hope I'm not boring many of you.
                        Judy

                      • bobappic@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 3, 2004

                          I'm a silent member of this group since my roots are in Cleveland, OH and not TX.

                          Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying your journal.  Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and observations with us!

                          Bob Klepac
                          San Antonio, TX
                        • Loretta Wotipka-Riely

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004

                              I'm a silent member of this group since my roots are in Cleveland, OH and not TX.

                              Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying your journal.  Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and observations with us!

                              Bob Klepac
                              San Antonio, TX

                              Bob,

                              I enjoyed Judys storys of her trip, and hope there may be more.  But, your comment of your roots not being from Texas may have prevented you from messaging more often.  Far be it that you must have your roots from :Texas to belong and participate in this group.  You don't even have to be a Czech, just have interest in Czechs is enough!

                              I've made a comment time or two in the past couple years that our TexasCzech title may have people thinking they must be from Texas to belong to this group.  However, we have member from many of the states between the two oceans, Canada, and Europe.  So my thoughts evidently wasn't holding true.

                              When I was growing up (L O N G  Time ago! <g>) I thought my fathers family of Mikeska's from Eola were the only Mikeska's in the world!  Have I found that thought wrong!  Just this year, I've learned of two more Mikeska groups[s that descend from a Mikeska boy back in the 1700's.  Figured if we ever tried to have a reunion of all the Mikeska Clan in Texas, would be couple years before we could hold it as understand takes that long to reserve the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston,  or might reserve the Kyle Stadium at A & M! <g>

                              Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                            • TJSlansky