Re: [TexasCzechs] Zelchovice #2

  • epereira@swbell.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 5:43 PM
      Sir John I am loving the pictures. The one of the house was great. You can see detail and with your description it really made it easy to understand how these houses can stand for so long. The church in this email looks like our old church in Fayetteville, except ours was not as grand as this one. The general shape, long and narrow with a big steeple. Or maybe it was because I was a kid. Thanks again and keep them coming. I don't have any people from the area you visited but I don't really care since it is still Cz......Lois Petter Pereira

      "John L. Mikeska" wrote:

      Hi Members, Attached are two more photos taken June 5th in Zelechovice, CZ.  Our guide for the day, Janna from Hotel Mylen in Velhrad, Moravia, CZ. took off walking to find the Municipal building.  Not wanting to hold her back, my two cousins and I waited for her.... :-)  Czechs walk with a large stride, and it is difficult for heavy weight (read fat!) fellow to keep up with them! We took the opportunity to visit a small grocery store across the street and purchase some bottled water.  I found a liter bottle, near our quarts, and proud to find it was so cold part of the water had frozen.  One of the girls suggested I get another bottle that was not frozen.  We neither spoke the other's language, and her taking it from me and handing me another bottle, with the ice, wasn't what I was wanting.  I put it back, and get the one with ice again, and smiled at her.  She started to get it again, but Ugh Uh, this was what I wanted.  When I went to pay for the bottled, I paid as I normally did - held out a handful of change and "take what you need" look on my face.  The girl laughed, as was the other girl by this time, and ask if I really wanted the bottled water with ice.  She said the other girl had placed it in the ice cream freezer for herself!  I was a little embarrassed and started taking it back to her, but she would have not part of accepting it.  The girl speaking English said the girl "got a big 'Bang', as we called it, over the instance.  Had the girl tell her, in CZ, to put another bottle in the freezer, cause I hope to be back in a year or two.  We all laughed and for some reason, they had figured we were Americans!!!  I thought I made a picture of the store, but haven't came across it.  The store reminded me of the residential area grocery store I worked in about 1943 and 44 - small, selling mainly foot, maybe having some Bayer Aspirin and BC Power for my Mother's migraines! Once photo is view of the downtown of Zelechovice, which you will notice the narrow streets, and not a large town.  The second photo is the Zelechovice Catholic Church, across from the store we  has been in.  Majority of the towns and villages churches were on the high ground of the town, with high steeples, and if a newer church, as this one was, painted.  The centuries old churches usually were of large blocks and left in their natural state. Next will be Zadverice, CZ.  Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
      ICQ 48955956To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

      Click here for Free Video!!
      http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

    • John L. Mikeska
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 6:33 PM
        Lois,

        Thanks for the kind words. Replying to the group to add a few more comments I recall.  I know there it is said there were different dress and costumes in the past in different areas of what is now the CZ Rep..  But I found people very similar to our lives in that people awake in the morning, have breakfast to prepare, off to work, kids to get to school, etc.  However, the difference was what I noticed of how these daily duties were carried out.

        First, it is daylight at 5:00 AM to about 9:00 PM, no kidding!  Many people are at work by 6 or 7, as I would hear the street construction men working outside the hotel.  Breakfast was similar to ours, but having Continental Breakfasts at the hotels might be somewhat different.  Continental breakfasts in the motels I have stayed at usually is coffee, cold cereal, some fruit, juice and sweet rolls.  How about baskets of different type of rolls/rye bread (never saw a slice of white bread in the whole trip!), always had corn flakes and a type of nut cereal with raisins, pitchers of WARM milk, yogurt in small containers like Danon in the US, plus a LARGE bowl of yogurt with large ladle for your cereal, fresh oranges, apples, bananas, and coffee and hot water for those that preferred hot tea for breakfast or dilute the stronger coffee.  (Ice has to be requested at any meal, and if you get more than 3 pcs, a rarity, but can ask for more!)  Dozens of hard boiled brown eggs are on the table; sliced ham, meats, sausage and bacon.  What a Continental Breakfast!

        It may be the Czech's were aware Sir John was among the group in the hotel and put on a breakfast fit for a King!!!!

        AND, do not put your silverware on your plates if you are not through with your meal - waiters pick them up within 30 seconds!!!

        If you ever meet me personally, do NOT mention the CZ Republic, unless you have about 5 hours to spend listening to tales of this wonderful country and people.  Guess I need to thank our tour Hostess for this!!!!  They were great, making at least two tour trips each year to CZ Republic, Slovakia and Austria.  It was great meeting their kinfolks and friends, having meals with them and yard Parties that I believe the people had more fun than we were!

        I now know where the term "Work hard, and party hard" comes from.  And add laughter, constant laughter, to that.  It was wonderful and I will never forget these good times.

        Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
        ICQ 48955956

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3 11:36 AM
          Sir John,

          How was the situation with paper products?  I went over in June 1997.  In the village taverns and restaurants, one thin paper napkin would be twisted around the silverware.  That was all you got!

          Toilet paper was rough and gray.  I tried to pull out an extra roll from the hotel to take along as we traveled, but sometimes the rolls were bolted down.  I remembering having to pay a grandmother a few koruns for a tiny piece to use at a public restroom outside one of the pilgrimage churches.

          If you didn't bring a basket to shop with, you had to pay for a bag.  I was so proud of myself at Karolinka where I bought glassware.  I told them I would buy the set if they would throw in the empty box in the back room.  I got the box and packed dirty clothes around the glassware and sent it home as luggage.

          What we throw away and waste over here is valued over there.  Has that changed?

          Marie Neuman Gottfried
          Pattison
          Waller County

        • John L. Mikeska
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3 3:25 PM
            Marie,
            Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Zelchovice #2

            How was the situation with paper products? I went over in June 1997. In
            the village taverns and restaurants, one thin paper napkin would be twisted
            around the silverware. That was all you got!
            IN HOTELS WE STAYED IN, WE HAD CLOTH NAPKINS AND USUALLY NEATLY FOLDED INTO
            A CONE SHAPE. DO RECALL IN COUPLE SMALL VILLAGES RECEIVING THE SILVERWARE
            WRAPPED AS YOU DESCRIBED, BUT WITH QUALITY OF FOOD SERVED, I DID NOT PAY
            MUCH ATTENTION TO IT. EXCELLENT FOOD SERVED EVERYWHERE.

            Toilet paper was rough and gray. I tried to pull out an extra roll from
            the hotel to take along as we traveled, but sometimes the rolls were bolted
            down.
            YOU MUST HAVE MADE AN IMPRESSION, FOR I DID NOT SEE ANY BOLTED DOWN NOR THE
            ROUGH GRAY ROLLS. I HAD HEARD THEIR PAPER WAS NEXT TO SANDPAPER, BUT I
            DID NOT FIND THIS TRUE, OR I AM TOUGHER THAT I THOUGHT!!!! :-)

            I remembering having to pay a grandmother a few koruns for a tiny piece to
            use at a public restroom outside one of the pilgrimage churches.
            THE RULE IS IF YOU HAVE TO GO IN PUBLIC, YA GOTTA PAY. THAT THE WAY THEY
            PAY FOR THE PUBLIC RESTROOMS. MOST CHARGE 3 KOURANS, WHICH WAS ABOUT .0116
            CENTS IN US. MOST OF TIME I WOULD HAVE GIVEN THEM A DOLLAR! AND MEN, WHEN
            THEY SAY PUBLIC, NOTHING PRIVATE IN MENS BATHS. AND THE GRANDMAS MUST HAVE
            A MONOPOLY ON THE JOBS! COURSE, WHEN I SAW ONE COME IN THE MENS BATH AND
            GO INTO THE STORAGE ROOM TO GET MORE PAPER FOR THOSE POOR LADIES, DIDN'T
            REALLY BOTHER HER, BUT IT SUPPRISED US.
            If you didn't bring a basket to shop with, you had to pay for a bag. I was
            so proud of myself at Karolinka where I bought glassware. I told them I
            would buy the set if they would throw in the empty box in the back room. I
            got the box and packed dirty clothes around the glassware and sent it home
            as luggage.
            RIGHT, I LEARNED TO TAKE A BAG. I BOUGHT SOME MAPS, AND ONE HAD A WIRE
            BINDER. WALKING OWN THE STREET, THE BINDER BROKE THE THIN BAG THEY
            SUPPLIED AND OUT SPILLED MAPS, PAMPHLETS, ETC. TAKE YOUR WAL MART BAGS -
            HEAVY DUTY STUFF COMPARED TO WHAT MIGHT BE GIVEN YOU OVER THERE.

            What we throw away and waste over here is valued over there. Has that
            changed?

            NO! WE TAKE SO MUCH FOR GRANTED. SUCH AS ICE WATER WITHOUT ASKING FOR IT;
            AIR CONDITIONING, CHEAP GAS (THEIRS IS $3.39 @ GALLON, WHEN CONVERTED FROM
            LITERS); GROCERY SUPERMARKETS, OUR SPACIOUS HOMES WITH YARDS, WIDE STREET,
            LARGE AUTOMOBILES (MOST CARS ABOUT SIZE OF CHEVROLET GEO).

            BUT THAT IS THEIR WAY OF LIFE - THEY LOVE IT AS KNOW NO OTHER WAY - WALK
            MOST EVERYWHERE OR TAKE THE SUBWAY/TROLLEY, AND I BECAME WELL AWARE I STOOD
            OUT IN ANY CROWD BECAUSE OF MY WEIGHT!!!! THE STATEMENT THAT A VERY LARGE
            PERCENT OF AMERICANS ARE OVERWEIGHT IS VERY EVIDENT BY LOOKING AROUND AT
            THE PEOPLE. YOU CAN'T HELP BUT FALL IN LOVE WITH THESE PEOPLE, AS THEY
            WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS.

            Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
            ICQ 48955956