Fw: [TexasCzechs] Kolaches--Using Bread Flour

  • Susan Rektorik Henley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2001
      Mary (Soukup) Holy wrote:

      "I use the bread flour whenever I decide to make kolaches and they do come
      out better...The bread flour holds up to all the mixing, which regular flour
      does not...Cake, pastry and all purpose flours don't work with the yeast the
      way bread flour does. Hard wheat that is included in bread flour, has a
      high protein/high gluten content that helps give the bread structure."

      Mary,

      Everytime I hear from you, I learn something...thank you

      I would encourage anyone who wants to make kolaches to take the time to
      purchase bread flour...the difference is tremendous! I also forgot to
      mention that I did use Wondra flour during the last few flour additions. I
      was interested in working with different "grinds" or "meals" of flour.
      Since there was such a grand difference, I attribute most of the change to
      the bread flour; however, I like the feel of the Wondra when adding it.

      And yes, I am one of those people who cooks by sight, feel, color changes,
      and texture more than measurements.

      Darlene, I want to try your wedding kolache recipe myself. And, I do
      understand why you would not bake them when the temps are warm. I
      celebrated the fact that my Dad finally let us install a central AC/heating
      unit (with an electronic filter and UV filter to ameleorate the symptoms of
      his emphasema) in his house by baking kolaches. I do not bake them in my
      1907 kitchen unless it is cool.

      A long-time friend of my Dad's was visting the morning that my daughter and
      I was baking kolaches. He was amazed that I was interested in making them
      (he has two daughters of his own) and wanted to know who taught me to make
      them. I just told him it was my grandmother's recipe, I did not mention how
      much effort my sisters and I put into recapturing the recipe which was never
      written down.

      For those of you who have never made kolaches...try it with your daughter,
      your sister, your best friend. It is an experience to be shared. The
      aromas, the textures, the feel...it is all so rewarding. Making kolaches is
      a special and cherished event shared by my teen-aged daugher and me. In
      ffact, she was the catalyst for me to learn how to make them when she
      decided
      to do a family history research project on them several years ago.

      If anyone out there does decide to try and you have questions, contact
      me...I am more than willing to try to coach. I did a fair degree of
      research on yeast dough when I was trying to recreate the recipe. I bet we
      could get Mary (Soukup) Holy to help too!

      Susan
    • Richard Kotrla
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 9, 2001
        Susan:

        Thanks for taking the time to share your experience in baking
        kolaches with your daughter. It is so important that we share our
        culture with our children so it is carried on to the next
        generation, even the simplest things like making kolaches. And as
        always you have weaved your comments into a wonderful story. This
        is why we all look forward to your messages on the e-group and
        your wonderful stories in Cesky Hlas. I can't wait to see what you
        are going to have for the August issue!! And I am sure everyone
        else is looking forward to your upcoming artciles as much as I am.

        Thanks again for your wonderful sharing!!

        Richard Kotrla

        --- In TexasCzechs@y..., "Susan Rektorik Henley" <srektorik@h...>