Re: [TexasCzechs] Information On Summer Genealogy Conference

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
      Mary,

      Richard may be at work, so I am taking the liberty of replying to you until
      Richard Kotrla has time to reply, if he needs to.

      The attachment was a the information and form you can complete and send to
      CHS with meeting fee. Actually, this is a duplicate of the same form that
      was inserted in the Cesky Hlas quarterly. Some members in the Electronic
      Czechs are not members of the CHS and imagine Richard was sending the
      duplicate form for their benefit, in case they wish to attend the July
      meeting.

      This form evidently was sent in HTML or RTF (Rich text format) because some
      the format and colored type is not permitted in text format. Richards
      message and form came to me in good form, but not to you. Evidently the
      message in HTML and RTF gets changed somehow as it passes nodes
      (intersections, so to speak) on the internet I got Richards message o k,
      but did not other messages received this morning, that I bet you got o k.
      This is the reason list owners (Rootsweb), messages going overseas, etc. be
      sent in Text format.

      Now, why we get good nice HTML messages from PCWorld, MSN, etc, and some of
      ours is a mess, I don't know.

      If you did not get the registration form, I will mail you one.

      Sir John
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
        There is also a link on the CHS homepage to the form, and you can just
        print from your browser.

        Cindy
        Webmaster http://www.czechheritage.org

        > Richard may be at work, so I am taking the liberty of replying to
        you until
        > Richard Kotrla has time to reply, if he needs to.
        >
        > The attachment was a the information and form you can complete and
        send to
        > CHS with meeting fee. Actually, this is a duplicate of the same
        form that
        > was inserted in the Cesky Hlas quarterly. Some members in the
        Electronic
        > Czechs are not members of the CHS and imagine Richard was sending
        the
        > duplicate form for their benefit, in case they wish to attend the
        July
        > meeting.
        >
        > This form evidently was sent in HTML or RTF (Rich text format)
        because some
        > the format and colored type is not permitted in text format.
        Richards
        > message and form came to me in good form, but not to you. Evidently
        the
        > message in HTML and RTF gets changed somehow as it passes nodes
        > (intersections, so to speak) on the internet I got Richards message
        o k,
        > but did not other messages received this morning, that I bet you got
        o k.
        > This is the reason list owners (Rootsweb), messages going overseas,
        etc. be
        > sent in Text format.
        >
        > Now, why we get good nice HTML messages from PCWorld, MSN, etc, and
        some of
        > ours is a mess, I don't know.
        >
        > If you did not get the registration form, I will mail you one.
        >
        > Sir John
        Conference

        > > Richard, Jak se mas?
        > >
        > > I tried sending this to your verizon e-mail address and it was
        returned
        > > saying the "recipient was not liked," so I will use your
        texasczechs
        > > address.
        > >
        > > I received your message "Information on Summer Genealogy
        Conference" with
        > > no problem. However, the attachment was, for me, a great problem.
        My
        > > eyesight poses certain limits on what I can do at the computer.
        One of
        > the
        > > limitations I have is reading long messages on the screen. It is
        much
        > > easier to print the message and read the hard copy at a good
        reading angle
        > > (glare is a problem) and good light, without having to scroll and
        read it
        > > on the screen.
        > >
        > > Now, the attachment was 44 pages long and began with several pages
        of
        > > computer language characters. The readable portion of the message
        did not
        > > begin until about page 20 and was scattered throughout until the
        end.
        > This
        > > meant printing all 44 pages to read the message and also to get
        the
        > > application form and the schedule of events and etc.
        > >
        > > I tried going to the archives and retrieving the attachment that
        way. But
        > > the result was the same.
        > >
        > > What kind of setting on my computer or method should I use so I do
        not
        > have
        > > to wade through all the computer language stuff? I hope you can
        solve
        > this
        > > puzzle for me.
        > >
        > > Mary J. Heard
        > > mjkraitc@...
        > >
        > > ----------
        > > > From: Richard Kotrla <Richard.Kotrla@...>
        > > > To: texasczechs@yahoogroups.com
        > > > Subject: [TexasCzechs] Information On Summer Genealogy
        Conference
        > > > Date: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 7:39 PM
        > > >
        > > > Dear fellow TexasCzechs:
        > > >
        > > > Please find as an attachment information concerning the Summer
        Genealogy
        > > > Conference in Caldwell.
        > > >
        > > > I encourage everyone to attend.

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Richard Kotrla
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
          Mary:

          First of all I apologize that your message to my verizon address
          had problems getting there. That concerns me and I will have to
          call the tech desk and see what's going on. Maybe that's why I am
          not getting some other messages I have been expecting.....

          Now why the message is scrambled I don't know.

          I will resend as a text file.

          Sorry about that!!

          Richard Kotrla

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
            Sir John:

            Thanks for the wonderful explanation.

            Actually was I in San Antonio covering the Folklife Fesitval for
            Cesky Hlas, but I appreciate a far better explnation than I could
            have given.

            Richard

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
              Another great idea, Cindy!!

              Richard

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
                Dear fellow listers:

                If anyone else has had trouble sending messages to my ISP, let me
                know. I will call them to see what happened. And Mary, your
                messages are always liked as far as I am concerned....

                Richard