Information On Summer Genealogy Conference

  • Richard Kotrla
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2001
      Dear fellow TexasCzechs:

      Please find as an attachment information concerning the Summer Genealogy
      Conference in Caldwell.

      I encourage everyone to attend.
    • Mary J. Heard
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
        Richard, Jak se mas?

        I tried sending this to your verizon e-mail address and it was returned
        saying the "recipient was not liked," so I will use your texasczechs
        address.

        I received your message "Information on Summer Genealogy Conference" with
        no problem. However, the attachment was, for me, a great problem. My
        eyesight poses certain limits on what I can do at the computer. One of the
        limitations I have is reading long messages on the screen. It is much
        easier to print the message and read the hard copy at a good reading angle
        (glare is a problem) and good light, without having to scroll and read it
        on the screen.

        Now, the attachment was 44 pages long and began with several pages of
        computer language characters. The readable portion of the message did not
        begin until about page 20 and was scattered throughout until the end. This
        meant printing all 44 pages to read the message and also to get the
        application form and the schedule of events and etc.

        I tried going to the archives and retrieving the attachment that way. But
        the result was the same.

        What kind of setting on my computer or method should I use so I do not have
        to wade through all the computer language stuff? I hope you can solve this
        puzzle for me.

        Mary J. Heard
        mjkraitc@...

        ----------
        > From: Richard Kotrla <Richard.Kotrla@...>
        > To: texasczechs@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [TexasCzechs] Information On Summer Genealogy Conference
        > Date: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 7:39 PM
        >
        > Dear fellow TexasCzechs:
        >
        > Please find as an attachment information concerning the Summer Genealogy
        > Conference in Caldwell.
        >
        > I encourage everyone to attend.

      • John L. Mikeska
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
          Mary,

          Richard may be at work, so I am taking the liberty of replying to you until
          Richard Kotrla has time to reply, if he needs to.

          The attachment was a the information and form you can complete and send to
          CHS with meeting fee. Actually, this is a duplicate of the same form that
          was inserted in the Cesky Hlas quarterly. Some members in the Electronic
          Czechs are not members of the CHS and imagine Richard was sending the
          duplicate form for their benefit, in case they wish to attend the July
          meeting.

          This form evidently was sent in HTML or RTF (Rich text format) because some
          the format and colored type is not permitted in text format. Richards
          message and form came to me in good form, but not to you. Evidently the
          message in HTML and RTF gets changed somehow as it passes nodes
          (intersections, so to speak) on the internet I got Richards message o k,
          but did not other messages received this morning, that I bet you got o k.
          This is the reason list owners (Rootsweb), messages going overseas, etc. be
          sent in Text format.

          Now, why we get good nice HTML messages from PCWorld, MSN, etc, and some of
          ours is a mess, I don't know.

          If you did not get the registration form, I will mail you one.

          Sir John

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Cindy Bolinger
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
            There is also a link on the CHS homepage to the form, and you can just
            print from your browser.

            Cindy
            Webmaster http://www.czechheritage.org

            > Richard may be at work, so I am taking the liberty of replying to
            you until
            > Richard Kotrla has time to reply, if he needs to.
            >
            > The attachment was a the information and form you can complete and
            send to
            > CHS with meeting fee. Actually, this is a duplicate of the same
            form that
            > was inserted in the Cesky Hlas quarterly. Some members in the
            Electronic
            > Czechs are not members of the CHS and imagine Richard was sending
            the
            > duplicate form for their benefit, in case they wish to attend the
            July
            > meeting.
            >
            > This form evidently was sent in HTML or RTF (Rich text format)
            because some
            > the format and colored type is not permitted in text format.
            Richards
            > message and form came to me in good form, but not to you. Evidently
            the
            > message in HTML and RTF gets changed somehow as it passes nodes
            > (intersections, so to speak) on the internet I got Richards message
            o k,
            > but did not other messages received this morning, that I bet you got
            o k.
            > This is the reason list owners (Rootsweb), messages going overseas,
            etc. be
            > sent in Text format.
            >
            > Now, why we get good nice HTML messages from PCWorld, MSN, etc, and
            some of
            > ours is a mess, I don't know.
            >
            > If you did not get the registration form, I will mail you one.
            >
            > Sir John
            Conference

            > > Richard, Jak se mas?
            > >
            > > I tried sending this to your verizon e-mail address and it was
            returned
            > > saying the "recipient was not liked," so I will use your
            texasczechs
            > > address.
            > >
            > > I received your message "Information on Summer Genealogy
            Conference" with
            > > no problem. However, the attachment was, for me, a great problem.
            My
            > > eyesight poses certain limits on what I can do at the computer.
            One of
            > the
            > > limitations I have is reading long messages on the screen. It is
            much
            > > easier to print the message and read the hard copy at a good
            reading angle
            > > (glare is a problem) and good light, without having to scroll and
            read it
            > > on the screen.
            > >
            > > Now, the attachment was 44 pages long and began with several pages
            of
            > > computer language characters. The readable portion of the message
            did not
            > > begin until about page 20 and was scattered throughout until the
            end.
            > This
            > > meant printing all 44 pages to read the message and also to get
            the
            > > application form and the schedule of events and etc.
            > >
            > > I tried going to the archives and retrieving the attachment that
            way. But
            > > the result was the same.
            > >
            > > What kind of setting on my computer or method should I use so I do
            not
            > have
            > > to wade through all the computer language stuff? I hope you can
            solve
            > this
            > > puzzle for me.
            > >
            > > Mary J. Heard
            > > mjkraitc@...
            > >
            > > ----------
            > > > From: Richard Kotrla <Richard.Kotrla@...>
            > > > To: texasczechs@yahoogroups.com
            > > > Subject: [TexasCzechs] Information On Summer Genealogy
            Conference
            > > > Date: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 7:39 PM
            > > >
            > > > Dear fellow TexasCzechs:
            > > >
            > > > Please find as an attachment information concerning the Summer
            Genealogy
            > > > Conference in Caldwell.
            > > >
            > > > I encourage everyone to attend.

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
              Mary:

              First of all I apologize that your message to my verizon address
              had problems getting there. That concerns me and I will have to
              call the tech desk and see what's going on. Maybe that's why I am
              not getting some other messages I have been expecting.....

              Now why the message is scrambled I don't know.

              I will resend as a text file.

              Sorry about that!!

              Richard Kotrla

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
                Sir John:

                Thanks for the wonderful explanation.

                Actually was I in San Antonio covering the Folklife Fesitval for
                Cesky Hlas, but I appreciate a far better explnation than I could
                have given.

                Richard

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
                  Another great idea, Cindy!!

                  Richard

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 9, 2001
                    Dear fellow listers:

                    If anyone else has had trouble sending messages to my ISP, let me
                    know. I will call them to see what happened. And Mary, your
                    messages are always liked as far as I am concerned....

                    Richard