Re: [TexasCzechs] Thanks for the help everyone

  • Steve Alvarez
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000
      Thanks again.

      I'll have to make sure I give it a try.

      God Bless
      Steve

      Alvarez@...
      Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2000 6:42 PM
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Thanks for the help everyone

      My parents marriage license lists their names of course but also their parents names. The old Catholic birth certificates list the child, the child's parents and the child's grandparents and I have some that also lists occupations. I guess it depends on the priest who did the recordkeeping. I haven't asked for my church records yet. I have to butter Fr. Ben up to let him know I won't abscond with his books since I want to actually see the ledgers...Lois Petter Pereira

      Steve Alvarez wrote:

      Thanks everyone for the help, I'll have to pull out the book "Czech Voices" and read up on him. I have never looked at a church record.  Mainly because the two churches I went to, also would not let me look at the records. Has anyone ever looked at a marriage certificate from a church?  I have the marriage certificate from the courthouse.  I am curious if there would be addition information from the church marriage certificate or are they one and the same. I am hoping the church record would have parents name, etc. etc. so it would complete my confirmation of who she is. Asking this question might save me research time, plus it might help others. I have always figured no question is dumb, if you don't know the answer. God Bless
      Steve Alvarez@...
      Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

      Click here for Free Video!!
      http://www.gohip.com/free_video/

    • epereira@swbell.net

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2000
          I note with interest that you actyually want to see the records and probably will be able to do so since you possibly know the priest on a personal basis.

          I tried years ago to get records on my Martinak and Shupak families from the Catholic Church in Frelsburg.  It was requested that I send money and they would reserach for me.  I complied with their request but the answer I got was that there were no recordings of my families' births, confirmations, marriages, deaths there.  Interestingly enough family members are buried in the church's cemetery but still the church could not come up with anything in their records and assured me that I was not permitted to access their records.  Last year I spent some time at Clayton Library in Houston.   There I found some of the information I was looking for and it had been submitted by the Catholic Church in  Frelsburg.  I, like Marie, would like to see the original entries for my own amazement and believe that the entries might give me information that has not been transcribed from those origianl entries for posterity.

          Bea Rost

          Steve Alvarez wrote:

[...]

        • Richard Garza
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 2, 2000
            Hi Lois,
            Godparents may also be listed on the baptismal. These were quite often
            relatives of the parents.
            Rick Garza

            On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 18:42:08 -0500 epereira@... writes:
            > My parents marriage license lists their names of course but also
            > their
            > parents names. The old Catholic birth certificates list the child,
            > the
            > child's parents and the child's grandparents and I have some that
            > also
            > lists occupations. I guess it depends on the priest who did the
            > recordkeeping. I haven't asked for my church records yet. I have to
            > butter Fr. Ben up to let him know I won't abscond with his books
            > since I
            > want to actually see the ledgers...Lois Petter Pereira

            Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
          • epereira@swbell.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2000
              Of course godparents were always listed and that is the reason I am considering buying ginko something for memory. I just have to remember to buy it :>  Lois