Texas Folklife Festival

  • jvrla@att.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 5, 2001
      Again this weekend is the annual Texas Folklife Festival
      in San Antonio. If you have never been, then it is very
      worthwhile to go to. About all the cultures of Texas are
      represented. Look for our group and come say jak se mas.
      We are the Texas Czech Beseda Dancers of SPJST Lodge#130
      in Dallas. We dance the authenic beseda dances.
      Maybe you can drink some slivovice with us and even
      dance some.
      See ya in San Antonio 6/8-6/10.
      John Vrla
    • Richard Kotrla
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7, 2001
        John:

        It's been years since I have been, but am making a road trip
        Saturday from the gulf coast to visit again, particularly with this
        being the 30th anniversary of the event. I am particularly looking
        forward to seeing if the new Czech exhibit that so many of our
        listers contributed items to is complete. Hope to have plenty of
        pictures in the August issue of Cesky Hlas. The August issue will
        also feature a photo essay of the CHS-sponsored trip to the Czech
        Reublic, which is taking place as we speak.

        Richard Kotrla

        --- In TexasCzechs@y..., jvrla@a... wrote:
        > Again this weekend is the annual Texas Folklife Festival
        > in San Antonio. If you have never been, then it is very
        > worthwhile to go to. About all the cultures of Texas are
        > represented.
      • Nancy Sugarek
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 8, 2001
          My Family and I went Thursday. Y'all go... it is
          really fun, especially stage 9!!! Nancy

          --- Richard Kotrla <Richard.Kotrla@...> wrote:
          > John:
          >
          > It's been years since I have been, but am making a
          > road trip
          > Saturday from the gulf coast to visit again,
          > particularly with this
          > being the 30th anniversary of the event. I am
          > particularly looking
          > forward to seeing if the new Czech exhibit that so
          > many of our
          > listers contributed items to is complete. Hope to
          > have plenty of
          > pictures in the August issue of Cesky Hlas. The
          > August issue will
          > also feature a photo essay of the CHS-sponsored trip
          > to the Czech
          > Reublic, which is taking place as we speak.
          >
          > Richard Kotrla
          >
          > --- In TexasCzechs@y..., jvrla@a... wrote:
          > > Again this weekend is the annual Texas Folklife
          > Festival
          > > in San Antonio. If you have never been, then it is
          > very
          > > worthwhile to go to. About all the cultures of
          > Texas are
          > > represented.

          a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Jan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 9, 2001
            The new Czech Exhibit is great. Much better than when I went year before
            last. The Czech dancers was great Saturday at 10 p.m. If any of you
            dancers are on the list....Awesome job!!!!

            Jan

            http://joekopecky.homestead.com
            > My Family and I went Thursday. Y'all go... it is
            > really fun, especially stage 9!!! Nancy
            >

            > --- Richard Kotrla <Richard.Kotrla@...> wrote:
            > > John:
            > >
            > > It's been years since I have been, but am making a
            > > road trip
            > > Saturday from the gulf coast to visit again,
            > > particularly with this
            > > being the 30th anniversary of the event. I am
            > > particularly looking
            > > forward to seeing if the new Czech exhibit that so
            > > many of our
            > > listers contributed items to is complete. Hope to
            > > have plenty of
            > > pictures in the August issue of Cesky Hlas. The
            > > August issue will
            > > also feature a photo essay of the CHS-sponsored trip
            > > to the Czech
            > > Reublic, which is taking place as we speak.
            > >
            > > Richard Kotrla
            > >
            > > --- In TexasCzechs@y..., jvrla@a... wrote:
            > > > Again this weekend is the annual Texas Folklife
            > > Festival
            > > > in San Antonio. If you have never been, then it is
            > > very
            > > > worthwhile to go to. About all the cultures of
            > > Texas are
            > > > represented.

          • Jan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 10, 2001
              The new Czech Exhibit is great. Much better than when I went year before
              > last. The Czech dancers were great Saturday at 10 p.m. If any of you
              > dancers are on the list....Awesome job!!!!

              (Sorry, but I just had to correct that awful error. It was driving me
              nuts...)

              Jan

              http://joekopecky.homestead.com
              > The new Czech Exhibit is great. Much better than when I went year before
              > last. The Czech dancers was great Saturday at 10 p.m. If any of you
              > dancers are on the list....Awesome job!!!!
              >
              > Jan
              >
              > http://joekopecky.homestead.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Richard Kotrla
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 10, 2001
                Dear fellow Czechlisters:

                Despite the bad weather in the Houston area Saturday, I managed to
                find my way to San Antonio and the Texas Folklife Festival.

                The Festival celebrated it's 30th year and the last time I went was it
                had been going half as many of those years. Unfortunately, it had
                been several years since I had been there, but it was still the
                wonderful experience I remember with over 40 ethnic groups
                represented.

                And while there, I got some wonderful stories and pictures for the
                August issue of "Cesky Hlas."

                I stopped by the Czech booth manned by the Bexar County Czech Heritage
                Society. They had a kolache baking demonstration, oven and all. Free
                samples were available and they also sold kolaches and cold drinks.
                There was the Czech egg-making demonstration with the two ladies who
                are from Houston, the Tobolas.

                Visted with Ed Kadlacek and his band. Ed is a fellow lister. Met him
                for the first time. A really great, personable individual and he and
                his band are very entertaining.

                Got to also meet and visit with John Vrla and the Texas Czech Beseda
                Dances of Dallas. John is a another lister. Great group and they
                drew a large crowd. And another crowd please was the West Czech
                Dancers.

                Had hoped that the new Czech kitchen exhibit was ready at the
                Insitute of Texas Cultures, but it wasn't yet and should be later this
                year. Am looking forward to seeing it.

                It was a relatively short visit, some six hours, and although I was on
                the road longer than I stayed, the long trip was well worth. Got to
                celebrate our Czech heritage and got to meet some of the folks on the
                list.

                Richard Kotrla
              • Edward Kadlecek
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4, 2003
                  Just a line to let those of you who might be interested that our Band
                  will be in San Antonio Texas Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday June 5 -
                  8, 2003 playing at the Texas Folklife Festival on the grounds of The
                  Institute of Texan Cultures. Look for us on the schedule each day as we will
                  be performing on different stages at different times each day.

                  We will also be making our side trips to the Czech booth for some
                  "shade-tree" singing when we can do it. Additionally, you might find us
                  doing an impromptu show at the Norwegian booth while we sip a little New
                  Braunfels ice water.

                  We are listed under ED KADLECEK and The FUN BUNCH.

                  ya'll come and bring the family to Texas' biggest block party of
                  entertainment, culture, fun and food.

                  Ed

                • czechclub2002
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2003
                    We are also looking forward to dancing the beseda at another
                    folklife festival. This will be our 30th year. We always enjoy
                    visiting the Bexar County Czech booth and hearing Ed's band, too. We
                    are the Texas Czech Beseda Dancers of Dallas and will be at Stage 5
                    on Friday at 6:30pm, Stage 4 on Saturday at 4pm, and Stage 5 on
                    Sunday at 1pm. Stop by and visit and we look forward to seeing
                    everyone and performing at the festival.

                    Thanks,
                    John Vrla