Caldwell coming up

  • Mary J. Heard
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2001
      Friends and Kin, Jak se mas?

      Finally! The last note has been played and the music filed away for this
      past season and maybe I can again return messages and answer questions. I
      am sure many of you have given up on hearing from me. My apologies. It
      has been an exceptionally difficult year and I will not bore you with the
      why.

      In addition to the main event, the State Meeting of the CHST, which is
      always a wonderful affair full of information and fun, there are three
      museums which are especially meaningful for us Czechs. I hope you can
      visit all three while there. Richard K. are they on your tour list?

      The Burleson County Historical Museum in on the lower level of the county
      court house, in the center of town. It is the oldest and includes many
      Czech treasures as well as items encompassing the entire county. They are
      open Fridays from 2 - 4:30.

      The Czech Museum, the (old) Polasek House, is the newest of the museums.
      It is on the corner of Fawn and Main Streets (if not Main then it is Shaw,
      I cannot find an address for it). Many local Czech families have donated
      items to this collection.

      The Kraitchar House on the corner of Buck and Porter Streets rounds out
      this trio. This house was the residence of a Czech businessman and city
      alderman for Caldwell, Thomas Kraitchar, Jr. It was a wedding gift from
      his father Thomas Kraitchar, Sr. and his wife Mary Kocurek Kraitchar in
      1891. My father and his brother and sisters were all born in this house
      and this is where I went when I visited my grandparents.

      Thomas Kraitchar, Sr., immigrated to Texas in 1855 with his parents. In
      1869 and 1870, he along with John Gavenda and Frank Mikeska were the first
      Moravians to settle in Burleson County.

      The Kraitchar name was originally spelled Krajca in the Moravian language.
      When Thomas Kraitchar, Sr. was being granted his naturalization papers, the
      judge asked if he would like to Anglicize his name to make it easier to
      pronounce and spell by the English speaking people in this country. Eager
      to please and become an American, he said yes. Now my mother, who is
      German and should know says the judge was of German extraction and spelled
      it the way it would be spelled and pronounced in German. The name has thus
      always since been a challenge to pronounce and to spell and is seldom
      recognized as to its origins.

      Burleson County has a very nice website with many links at:
      <http://www.rootsweb.com/~txburles/burles.htm> or just type in Burleson
      County in your search engine. Included on one of the pages is a sketch of
      the Kraitchar House and more information about it and on the recipe page is
      a color photograph of Honey Dowdy and George Hlavinka in Czech costume in
      front of the Kraitchar House.

      I hope it is possible to have these three facilities open for viewing
      during the conference.

      Mary J. Heard
      mjkraitc@...
    • darlenbaker@cs.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2001
        that would be great wouldn't it???

        darlene
      • Richard Kotrla
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2001
          Mary:

          I am excited that the conference will be in my old hometown.

          All three museums are great places to visit. And maybe we can make
          sure they will all be open during the conference.

          Richard Kotrla