Re: [TexasCzechs] question

  • Nancy Sugarek
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2001
      Dear Toni,
      Several years ago, while singing with the San
      Antonio Choral society, we were going to do an Ethnic
      concert and our director naively told each of us to
      dress in the costume of our own ethnic group.
      (Evidently this dear man of Scottish ancestry had
      never seen a Czech costume or heard my last name).
      Anyway, it didn't turn out to be as difficult a
      task as I had anticipated. I read several books and
      combined several patterns and it worked. Here are
      some of the things I learned from reading. This is
      probably common knowledge to many, but it wasn't to
      me. For the women's head wear. Married women wear
      the little bonnets, and single women wear the wreath
      of flowers. The skirts are thought to be a lifetime
      work of art (with embroidery, etc) so are made full
      with expandable waists (Not that any of us Czech women
      would expand during our lifetimes or anything).
      So, for the skirt, I used a regular full skirt
      pattern with a gathered, elastic waist (you can do the
      same with something that requires a waist band, just
      fold it down for a casing for elastic. For the Vest,
      I just used a regular lined vest pattern and sewed it
      up a bit to make it fitted (I found that if you sew
      ribbon loops along the front you can lace it up with
      the matching ribbon) For the blouse, I found a
      regular peasant blouse pattern and attached wide lace
      in the appropriate places. (you can get some really
      pretty wide lace for very little money at Wal-mart)
      (with the vest on you can't tell how the sleeves are
      set in). The apron is easy to make without a pattern
      (just gather a wide rectangle of fabric onto a wide
      narrow piece of fabric for the waist band). I found
      trim to be quite expensive, but found just what I
      needed by shopping a charity second hand store and
      finding a bag of assorted trims. The costume turned
      out well, didn't require any big time sewing skills
      and didn't cost very much. (and when compared with
      the ones that you see for sale at some of the
      festivals, was comparable in appearance, but nowhere
      near the cost).
      The chore isn't as daunting as it seems. Good
      luck. Write back if I can offer any further
      suggestions or some references.
      Nancy Sugarek

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/