Book Review

  • Marie Neuman Gottfried
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2000
      Thanks to all you have sent comments on my research about St. John of
      Nepomuky and feudalism in Bohemia. Many of your suggested books are
      out of print. I did find this one in Borders bookstore, Houston.

      Book: Prague in Black and Gold, Scenes in the Life of a European City

      Author: Peter Demetz, Professor Emeritus of German and Comparative
      Literature at Yale University, born in Prague in 1922

      Published: 1997 by Hill and Wang, Division of Farrar, Straus and
      Giroux, 19 Union Square West, New York, 10003

      Cost: $15 paperback

      Contents: 411 pages, 8 chapters
      1. Libussa or Versions of Origin
      2. Otakar's Prague, 880-1278
      3. The Carolinian Moment: Charles IV and His Age
      4. The Hussite Revolution: 1415-1422
      5. Rudolf II and the Revolt of 1618
      6. Mozart in Prague
      7. 1848 and the Counterrevolution
      8. T. G. Masaryk's Prague
      With Bibliography, Index, and Author's notes

      Opinion:
      This is very academic and not an easy read. I'm stuck in chapter 4,
      but I am finding the information I want to know. I believe that this
      guy knows his stuff.

      Up to now, the materials I have found have either taken a very
      Catholic view, making up some history that did not happen, or were
      from a sarcastic, flippant view that bashed the Catholic thinking but
      could not give reasons why.

      I have found some excellent sources from the Czech lands but the
      meanings got lost in the translations to the English language. For
      example, it was written that one noble was "executed and imprisoned
      for many years". Guess they punish you even when dead?

      Peter Demetz grew up in Prague and heard both sides of the stories.
      Although very academic, his stories can be followed, and I got the
      answers to many questions. He gives the story behind the story.

      Marie Neuman Gottfried
      Pattison, Texas
      Waller County
    • Jim & Elaine Hicks
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2004
        The attached book review appeared in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Sunday Edition, October 24, 2004.  I thought some might find it interesting.  An A+ review is rather rare.  I hope sending it as an attachment will work, if not, I will try other methods.

        Elaine Naiser Hicks
      • John L. Mikeska
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2004
          Elaine,

          The attachment came out fine.

          FYI:  Hope you keep a copy of the attachment to your message. About year ago, Yahoo began deleting any attachments to email messages archived (saved) for future reference.  If you go to the archives, you will find the attachment has been deleted from your email message.  If someone wanted to see the attachment later, they could obtain it form you.  Wished Yahoo didn't do this, but gotta live by their regulations for the right price we don't have to pay for using Yahoo.  <G>

          Jim & Elaine Hicks <jhicks5@...> wrote:
          The attached book review appeared in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Sunday Edition, October 24, 2004.  I thought some might find it interesting.  An A+ review is rather rare.  I hope sending it as an attachment will work, if not, I will try other methods.

          Elaine Naiser Hicks

          Sir John, Earl of Berkshire