REV JOSEF CHROMCIK

  • Richard Garza
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2000
      > --- In texasczechs@egroups.com, "Steve Alvarez" <alvarez@...>
      wrote:
      > > Hi guys and gals
      > >
      > > Pastor Joe Chromcheck in Fayetteville. I know he was a pastor of a
      -------------------------

      From the CHS newsletter,"Cesky Hlas," Feb. 1999 issue, p.11, re
      Chromcik:

      "REV JOSEF CHROMCIK 1998 CHS BLAHA-HEJL MEM'L
      Father Josef Chromcik came to Fayetteville, Texas in December 1872. The
      Czech-speaking citizens of the area were not able to understand the
      services that were said in German so Konstantin Chovanec and other
      parishioners petitioned the Bishop in Galveston to et a Czech-speaking
      priest for the Fayetteville Church. Father Chromcik was selected by the
      Bishop of Olomouc to go to Texas. He was the first permanent Czech
      Moravian priest in Texas.
      He was born near Olomouc January 25, 1845, ordained to the priesthood
      July 5, 1869 and arrived in Fayetteville December 24, 1872 at
      twenty-seven years of age. Father Chromcik celebrated his first mass in
      the Fayetteville Church on Christmas Day, 1872. He continued his ministry
      in Fayetteville and neighboring parishes, including Ellinger, Bluff
      (Hostyn), Dubina, Praha, Smothers Creek, Warrenton, Industry, Frenstat,
      Dimebox, Taylor, Birch, Tunis, Sealy, Latium, Wallis, Mulheim, Cat
      Spring, Round Top, Martinsville, Ennis, Granger, Frydek and Corn Hill,
      until his death April 17, 1910.
      In 1875, Father Chromcik established the Chromcik School where he taught
      children for 15 years. He made several trips back to Moravia and each
      time brought back other Czechs priests to serve in the Catholic parishes.
      He occasionally provided funds to bring poor Czechs to Texas.
      Due to a need for local insurance for the Czechs of Fayette County,
      Father Chromcik helped organize the KJT and served as the first Chaplain
      of the organization from 1889-1894. He served again from 1896 to 1898 and
      from 1901 until his death. He was named KJT Director and Counselor for
      life at the organizational meeting.
      During his lifetime he became well loved and in 1932 he was honored with
      a bronze statue which stands southwest of St. John the Baptist Catholic
      Church in Fayetteville.
      Today [Sat., Nov., 14, 1998] we honor him by adding his name to the
      Blaha-Hejl Memorial Plaque as a former member of the Texas Czech
      community who has left a legacy in the history of th eemigratio nof
      Czechs to Texas."
      ---------------
      Listers,
      Did Rev. Chromcik officiate at any of your family births, baptisms,
      confirmations, deaths, etc?

      Sharing. It's What It's All About!
      Rick Garza
      http://www.garza-zattler.homepage.com/
      NameSearch: GARZA, ZATTLER, REYNA, FOSTER, SCHACHTNER, STOPFER,
      HOLLMAIER, VOGEL, VOGL, WEINZIERL, FINK
      http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/texasczechs

      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
    • Chuck Shultz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2000
        Rick,

        My great grandmother, Mary Frances SCIBA, was baptized by Rev. Josef
        Chromcik. Below is transcript of her Certificate of Baptism that was
        apparently requested in 1947. The 1st sponsor, John HOLOTIK, is my
        gg granduncle. I don't know if the 2nd sponsor, Marie BEKOVSKY, is
        related.

        CERTIFICATE OF BAPTISM
        St. John's Church
        Fayetteville, Texas

        THIS CERTIFIES THAT
        Mary Stiba
        child of Vincent Stiba
        and Frances Stiba
        born in Fayetteville, Texas
        on the 5th day of December, 1881,
        was BAPTIZED on
        the 16th day of December, 1881,
        According th the Rite of the Roman Catholic Church
        by the Rev. Jos. Chromcik
        the sponsors being John Holotik
        and Marie Bekovsky
        as appears from the Baptismal Register of this Church.

        Dated March 6, 1947
        Rev. Frank L. Matustik
        Vol. I Page 87 No. 7

        Chuck Shultz
        http://www.ghg.net/cashultz/family.html
        Researching: SHULTZ, SCHORN, KUHN, SCIBA, HOLOTIK, JANDA, QUITTA,
        MIERZWIK

        --- In texasczechs@egroups.com, Richard Garza <richardgarza1@j...>