Little help please

  • Steve Alvarez
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2000
      Hi guys and gals

      Pastor Joe Chromcheck in Fayetteville. I know he was a pastor of a church in 1881 because he married a Pavlicek to a Wecheta.

      What church was he a pastor of ?

      Thanks in advance

      God Bless
      Steve

      Alvarez@...
      Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek
    • Veronica Camarillo
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2000
        Dear Steve,

        Rev. Chromcik married my great-grandparents: Joseph Simicek & Rozina
        Svinka in 1884. This record was in the St John's Church, Ellinger, TX.
        He later married my great-grandmother and her second husband John
        Spalek on August 10, 1891, according to the marriage license J.
        Chromcik was pastor of Fayetteville.

        Good luck in your search,

        Veronica Valenta Camarillo

        --- In texasczechs@egroups.com, "Steve Alvarez" <alvarez@b...> wrote:
        > Hi guys and gals
        >
        > Pastor Joe Chromcheck in Fayetteville. I know he was a pastor of a
        church in 1881 because he married a Pavlicek to a Wecheta.

        > What church was he a pastor of ?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > God Bless
        > Steve
        >
        > Alvarez@b...
        > Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek
      • Gerald D Heinrich
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2000
          Steve:

          I thought you might be interested in this information about the Catholic
          priest that you were inquiring about. This information was found at the
          Texas Handbook.

          Let me know if I can help in any other way.

          Gerald D. Heinrich
          mailto:heinrich.history@...
          fax (773) 913-1863

          Heinrich Family History
          http://www.geocities.com/~gdheinrich

          Worldwide research of the Heinrich family and many other German, Czech,
          Bohemian, & Moravian families.

          CHROM_IK, JOSEF (1845-1910). Reverend Joseph Chrom_ik, Czech Catholic
          priest and missionary to Texas, was born in _ep_íne, near Olomouc, Moravia,
          to Martin and Marianna Pitschová Chrom_ik. After attending seminary school
          in Olomouc and graduating in 1866, he was ordained on July 5, 1869, and made
          assistant pastor at Lichnov, Moravia, on August 15, 1869. In 1872 he was
          administrator of a parish in Zenklebeu Stramberka, near Noveho Ji_ína.
          Answering a plea of Bishop Claude Dubuis,qv bishop of Galveston, Father
          Chrom_ik was assigned to America, using a prepaid ticket that was sent by
          the people of Fayetteville. He sailed to Cuba and New Orleans, and arrived
          in early December 1872 at Galveston, where no one greeted him. He made his
          way to Ellinger, where the townspeople took him in and, not knowing
          immediately who he was, gave him food, clothing, a feather bed, and a
          pillow. On December 25, 1872, he arrived at Fayetteville and celebrated his
          first Mass on that Christmas Day. He reestablished St. John's Parish and
          built the Chrom_ik School in 1875, after receiving a certificate to teach.
          He taught for fifteen years.
          Father Chrom_ik was a linguist, and his knowledge of several languages
          enabled him to represent many nationalities as a community spokesman.
          Because of the difficulty many Czechs had in obtaining life insurance from
          eastern companies, Chrom_ik suggested establishing an insurance and
          fraternal group to serve Czech Catholics. On March 24 and 25, 1889, the
          Katolická Jednota Texaská (Czech Catholic Union of Texas) was established.
          Chrom_ik was chaplain of the group from 1890 to 1894, 1896 to 1898, and 1901
          to 1910; he was also made director and counselor for life. In 1994 local
          Catholic lodges still carried his name. Father Chrom_ik was a an
          ecclesiastical judge (for the clergy in ecclesiastical cases). His mission
          trips by buggy or horseback to surrounding communities, including Ellinger,
          Bluff, Round Top, Granger, Dubina, and Warrenton, occasionally in
          treacherous weather, led him to request that passable roads and bridges
          between communities be built.
          Letters to his homeland encouraged countrymen to come to the new land, which
          he described as a new free world. He sponsored many families in their
          journey to Texas, and on July 1878 he became a American citizen. In 1894 he
          returned to his homeland to celebrate the twenty­fifth anniversary of his
          ordination. A celebration was held with many young children carrying flowers
          honoring him. He returned with priests for new parishes. In 1894 he recorded
          218 family names in the area surrounding Fayetteville. In 1994 a large
          number of those surnames still appeared.
          On July 14, 1909, Chrom_ik celebrated forty years of priesthood. Father
          Peter Houst came to assist him. Chrom_ik died on April 7, 1910, and was
          buried in the Catholic Cemetery in Fayetteville. On October 19, 1932, a
          bronze statue of Father Chrom_ik was erected; it was moved southwest of St.
          John's Parish in 1969, where it stood in 1994. Children referred to him as
          their "Tati_ek," meaning "dear loving father." A Texas historical marker was
          planned to be dedicated in September 1995, and plans were in progress for a
          reenactment of his arrival at the church in December 1997.
          BIBLIOGRAPHY: The Czech Texans (San Antonio: University of Texas Institute
          of Texan Cultures, 1972). Estelle Hudson and Henry R. Maresh, Czech Pioneers
          of the Southwest (Dallas: South-West, 1934). Frank Lotto, Fayette County:
          Her History and Her People (Schulenburg, Texas: Sticker Steam Press, 1902;
          rpt., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1981). Marker Files, Texas
          Historical Commission, Austin. Leonie Rummel Weyand and Houston Wade, An
          Early History of Fayette County (La Grange, Texas: La Grange Journal, 1936).
          Carol Jurajda Kitchen

          Rev. Chromcik married my great-grandparents: Joseph Simicek & Rozina
          Svinka in 1884. This record was in the St John's Church, Ellinger, TX.
          He later married my great-grandmother and her second husband John
          Spalek on August 10, 1891, according to the marriage license J.
          Chromcik was pastor of Fayetteville.

          Good luck in your search,

          Veronica Valenta Camarillo

          --- In texasczechs@egroups.com, "Steve Alvarez" <alvarez@b...> wrote:
          > Hi guys and gals
          >
          > Pastor Joe Chromcheck in Fayetteville. I know he was a pastor of a
          church in 1881 because he married a Pavlicek to a Wecheta.

          > What church was he a pastor of ?
          >
          > Thanks in advance
          >
          > God Bless
          > Steve
          >
          > Alvarez@b...
          > Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

        • Steve Alvarez
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2000
            Thanks in advance for any help.

             Tombstone:

            Zde odpociva u Panu zesnula  (here rest ?  )

            Terezie Valek

            Rozena (born)

            u roIeu 1820 (u roleu is hard to read)

            Zesnula u. Panu   (?)
            Dne 18. Ledna roku 1895.  ( day 18 January in the year 1895).

            God Bless
            Steve

            Alvarez@...
            Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek