Leaving Home

  • Richard Garza
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2000
      Hi Kathleen,
      Thanks for sharing some of your mom's stories. Can you imagine putting
      all your worldly possessions into just two trunks. What do you take and
      what do you give to your neighbors, sell, or just discard? Do you take
      Great-Aunt Anezkas' teapot that might break? Or do you leave it with
      cousin Mathilde who might not treasure the sacrifice Anezka made to give
      that as a wedding gift to your mother?
      Leaving home is such a difficult choice in many ways.
      Rick Garza

      > Richard Kotrla
      >
      > I appreciate you sharing that, Richard K. My grandfather was born in
      > Halenkovice, Moravia. He came to TX as a little boy in 1907. Let me
      share
      > this with you, the words of my mother, from "Our Czechered Past":
      >
      > In 1907, about the time that Frank and Anna Dusek moved to New Colony,
      > a family in Halenkovice, Moravia, in Austria-Hungary, left their
      > little village.
      > They had sold their combined home, store, and tavern, and had
      > packed two
      > enormous homemade trunks. The family consisted of Frank and
      > Frances(Svejcara-maiden name)Ancinec and their sons, Frank,
      > nineteen, John,
      > eighteen, Henry, fourteen, and Joseph(nearly seven and my
      > grandfather). They
      > left Halenkovice for Hamburg, Germany, where they boarded the
      > steamship
      > Frankfurt, destination Galveston, Texas, by way of Baltimore. From
      > Galveston,
      > they then would take the train to Rogers, TX. Fannie's sister, Anna
      > Zyla and
      > her family had already lived at Red Ranger, seven miles from Rogers,
      > for about
      > three years. Fannie and Anna's sister, Josephine Blazek, lived at
      > Ft. Worth.
      > Oppression, hard times, and a war brewing in Europe, along with
      > letters from
      > relatives in TX, would bring these people to America."
      >
      > Dobrou noc and na shledanou,
      > Kathleen Sisson Boyd

      .
      Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!