Czech-Moravian Brethren pics from years ago

  • Kotrla RJ (Richard)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2000
      Hello listers, and particularly Susan Retornik Henley:

      Susan, thanks for sharing the pictures from the past of the Czech-Moravian
      Brethren Church, now the Unity of the Brethren.

      I was curious is the Granger pics were of some of my kin, so that's why I
      brought up the question. In the case of the wonderful old pictures you
      shared, they weren't.

      You brought up questions concerning why they were all so dressed up. These
      are confirmation photos. Confirmation is something that was and still is
      prevalent in the Catholic church, and that Czech protestants deemed worth
      keeping in their religion. Confirmation is religious training for the
      young. I went through it as I was growing up in the Brethren church. Once
      you completed the training, you were considered mature enough to take the
      wine and the bread, i.e. Holy Communion, which my Baptist brethren call the
      Lord's Supper. You were questioned about what you learned while studying
      the Catechism, also a holdover from the Catholic Church, which was a book of
      valuable religious knowledge. This questioning was done in front of the
      congregation. This was done back then, and while I was growing up. And I
      suspect, this is the way it still occurs. And in the olden days and in my
      time, you wore your best Sunday clothes, and if you were a young lady, you
      wore your newsest and best white dress.

      This was your "coming of age."

      Richard