Translation of two Czech Abbreviations

  • Janie Bucek
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2014
      I found  two obits written in Czech.  What do these abbreviations before the name of a priest mean:  vlp.  and dp.

      Thanks!  Janie Bucek
    • Paul Kurecka
      Message 2 of 7 , May 7, 2014
        Could you send a pic of the obits (or at least the segment with the priests' names)?

        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2014
          I am not able to send a picture of the obit.I willl send the two sentences.

          #1  Pohrben byl dne 7. pros. na kat. hrbitove v Hillje, dp. Raskou.

          #2  Pohrbena byla dne 15. dubna na katolicky hrbitov v Hillje, Texas vlp. V. Raskou.

          Janie Bucek
        • dennis svetlik
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2014
            The abbreviations probably refer to velebny pan and dustojny pan.  Both would have the same meaning as "Reverend".  Basically it's stating that Rev. Raska  was the officiant at the the burials.

            #1  Pohrben byl dne 7. pros. na kat. hrbitove v Hillje, dp. Raskou.

            #2  Pohrbena byla dne 15. dubna na katolicky hrbitov v Hillje, Texas vlp. V. Raskou.

            Janie Bucek

          • Matt Cross
            Message 5 of 7 , May 7, 2014
              Janie,

              That would make sense, especially because the priest is likely Reverend Victor A. Raska who served the El Campo and Hillje areas from 1922 to 1946. He was my great-grandmother's second cousin.

              From: djsvetlik@...
              To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 19:08:05 -0700
              Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Translation of two Czech Abbreviations

              #1  Pohrben byl dne 7. pros. na kat. hrbitove v Hillje, dp. Raskou.

              #2  Pohrbena byla dne 15. dubna na katolicky hrbitov v Hillje, Texas vlp. V. Raskou.

              Janie Bucek
            • Paul Kurecka
              Message 6 of 7 , May 7, 2014
                That makes sense, with #2 also adding his first initial.  Most of the ones I've read from ČR give the priest's full name and the title of either farář or kooperátor.
                I presume that #1 was a male deceased and #2 was a female deceased.
                Obviously, kat. (katolický) hřbitov is the catholic cemetery, pros (prosinec) is december and dubna is april.
                Pohřeb is burial, does the entry also list the priest who gave extreme unction? (Most of the ones I've read from ČR did - unless it was a infant/child.)

                #1  Pohrben byl dne 7. pros. na kat. hrbitove v Hillje, dp. Raskou.

                #2  Pohrbena byla dne 15. dubna na katolicky hrbitov v Hillje, Texas vlp. V. Raskou.

                Janie Bucek

              • jbucek2001
                Message 7 of 7 , May 8, 2014
                  Paul, Dennis, and Matt, thanks for responding to my question.  The first obit was for Joseph Macek who passed away in 1925.  I think he did receive extreme unction.  I used https://translate.google.com to translate the Czech words.
                  "Joseph Macka, ktery zemrel po trapne nemoci dne 5. prosince 1925 u sveho syna Karla v Galvestone, byv zaopatren poslednim pomazanim a casto prijmul Telo Pane posledni dny. Pohreb vypraven byl tamnim kat. pohrobnim zavodem."

                  All of the words weren't translated correctly.  I also used two different Czech dictionaries to translate some of the words.

                  My great grandmother Marie Macek passed away in 1924.  The second line was from her obit.

                  These two obits also told me where my great grandparents were born.  I always thought my great grandmother was born in Modlikov, Bohemia, but she was born in Jitkove, Bohemia.  My great grandfather's death certificate stated he was born in Pribyslav, Bohemia.  His obit gave the same information.

                  Matt, I knew Father Raska was a priest in Hillje.  We have a few pictures of him with my aunt's CYO group.  Thanks, again.  Janie Bucek