Re: [TexasCzechs] LaSalle, Texas

  • Steve Alvarez
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2001
      Jan

      Your story is not as unusually as you might think.   Sometimes I think they want to be found.

      God Bless
      Steve Alvarez

    • Peggy Lowrey
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2001
        LaSalle, my Dad grew up there.  I spent several weeks during the summer, every year, visiting my grandparents there.

        The Sembera store (not my name, Sumbera) has always been there.  Used to be an old wooden building, more or less in the same place, but faced the same street that the church is on, instead of the railroad tracks.  Had the post office inside the store.  Used to get treats from the store when grandpa took us with him to get the mail. I still envision this old building, instead of the brick one that is now there.

        My Sumbera grandparents attended that little Catholic church, although they are buried in town (Edna).  My aunts were, I think, all married there.  There are some old pictures and my dad was an alter boy when the church was first built.  I remember many a Saturday night bingo game at the hall next to the church, outhouses included.  And barbeques where they'd slap half a cow on those permanent grills built out there.

        The row of houses that face the church have always been there, too.  My Dad actually owns the land behind this row of houses & rents it out for farming.  Granny's (Dusek)former roommate in the rest home used to live in one of them.

        Continue down the road from the Church and turn left at the dead end.  Follow that road and right before the entrance to Bennett Park (a couple field lengths), is my grandpa's old farm.  My cousin is now living in the house.

        Send me again, the names you're looking for & I'll forward to Dad to see if he has any stories or memories of them.  It was such a tiny community, everyone knew everyone else.

        Peggy

        ps - as one who likes to research cemeteries, I DO believe that they want to be found....and people you meet while researching are always more than helpful.