Pilgrims for Hope Volume 1 lookup

  • kate.challis
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 19, 2014
      Hi guys!

      I was wondering if somebody could look up the Haidusek family in the Pilgrims for Hope, Volume 1 book. Actually, I really, really want to buy that book but I'm having a really hard time finding it!

      If some kind soul could scan and email me the pages about the Haiduseks from Mniší (the ancestors of Augustin Haidusek), that would be just fantastic. I'm trying to figure out what became of George Haidusek's children. So far, all of the Mniší parish records are dead ends. I'm starting to wonder if they also immigrated with their brother Valentin. Hmm hmm hmm.

      Kate
    • T J Slansky
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 19, 2014

        Kate.

        The only detail information is Valentin Hajdusek, his second wife Marianna Broz and their four children and a sister Johana of Valentin.

        The family sheet list an Augustin, born 19 Sept 1845 Mnisi #14.

        All of Dr. Simicek books are out of publication.

        The Tx CZ Gen Soc has acquired the publication rights and they plan to print them in the further.

        I hope this will help.

        TJ

        I was wondering if somebody could look up the Haidusek family in the Pilgrims for Hope, Volume 1 book. Actually, I really, really want to buy that book but I'm having a really hard time finding it!

        If some kind soul could scan and email me the pages about the Haiduseks from Mniší (the ancestors of Augustin Haidusek), that would be just fantastic. I'm trying to figure out what became of George Haidusek's children. So far, all of the Mniší parish records are dead ends. I'm starting to wonder if they also immigrated with their brother Valentin. Hmm hmm hmm.

        Kate

      • Don
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 20, 2014
        • 1 Attachment
        • 771 KB

        Katie,
        Hope this helps in your search.
        Don L. Lassetter
        Message 4 of 13 , Feb 20, 2014

          Kate,

          I have the books: The Pilgrims for Hope, vol. I, 2005, The Pilgrims for Hope, vol. II, 2004, and Hope Has a Name-Texas, 2007.

          I’ll scan the pages you requested and email them to you.  I already have your email address - we corresponded a while back.

          I also purchased a set of these 3 books for the El Campo, Texas public library, in memory of my dad Victor M. Wiesner.  They are in the Genealogy room of the library.

          Hope you find what you need on these pages.

          Linda Wiesner

        • wiesner1873
          Message 5 of 13 , Feb 20, 2014
            (This may a duplicate message - the other one did  not seem to send).

            Kate,
            I have the books: The Pilgrims for Hope, vol. I, 2005, The Pilgrims for Hope, vol. II, 2004, and Hope Has a Name-Texas, 2007.
            I scanned the pages you requested and emailed  them to you.
            I also purchased a set of these 3 books for the El Campo, Texas public library, in memory of my dad Victor M. Wiesner.  They are in the Genealogy room of the library.

            Hope you find what you need on these pages.
            Linda Wiesner
          • Joe Levek
            Message 6 of 13 , Feb 20, 2014
              Hello,

              I am not familiar with these books and what they contain.
              (The Pilgrims for Hope, vol. I, 2005, The Pilgrims for Hope, vol. II, 2004, and Hope Has a Name-Texas, 2007.)

              I would be interested in finding out if they contained any information on these families...........Martinka, Okruhlik, Vanecek and Levek.

              Thank you,

              Joe Levek

              Message 7 of 13 , Feb 20, 2014
                Thanks so much everybody, for helping me out! You all are very generous. I love this forum.

                Although, now I'm truly stuck.

                This Haidušek family seems to completely disappear from Mniší records. The family I'm talking about is the Georg Hajduschek-Barbara Koliba children. This is Georg Hajduschek's second marriage. The fabled Judge Augustine Haidusek, first Czech lawyer in the US, etc. is his grandson through Valentin Haidusek, who was born from his first marriage. The pages in the Pilgrims for Hope Vol. 1 book are about Valentin, who immigrated on the Anna Elise with that group of immigrants in 1856. They were mostly from Frenštát and the surrounding area. Seven of them stuck together and founded the village of Dubina.

                I'm trying to trace the children from his second marriage, and so far I'm just stuck. Several records seem to quote somebody mentioning that Valentin Haidusek's father George owned substantial lands.

                I found George Haiduschek's land records. They weren't actually that extensive.  If I understand the records correctly, Valentin Haidusek seems to have inherited them all, and then the last entry for #14 Mniší is in 1856, the year that he immigrated. Perhaps he sold them?

                Valentin Haidusek had 8 half siblings: Georg, Johann, Franz, Cirill, Ignatz, Anna, Antonia, and Theresia.

                Georg Haiduschek married Mariana Žabensky of Rychaltice. He is living at #14 Mniší in the 1869 census with his wife, 4 kids, and single brother Ignatz, a journeyman in "Uhersko, banaty" which I don't know if that's a place in Hungary or the Pardubice region of the Czech lands. Hmm.

                Johann married twice, first to Johanna Bohač and then to Marianna Pustejovsky. They were both older widows and never had children with him. He is found in #21 Mniší with his first wife and her children on the 1869 census, and #48 Mniší with his second wife and her children on the 1890 census.

                Franz died when he was 17. His inheritance was divided between his mother and siblings in 1853 in the land records for #14 Mniší.

                Ignatz I have been unable to trace at all beyond the 1869 census. Presumably he married. He was 31 in 1869, and most of his siblings married first in their 30's (or even 40's!).

                Anna married Thomas Brosch of #9 Mniší. In 1869, she is there with her husband, his parents, and her sister Antonia.

                Antonia marries Joseph Klozík of Mniší. In 1890 they are living in #65 with their kids.

                Theresia Haidusczek inherited a portion of her brother Franz's inheritance in 1853, so she did not die young. I have found no record of her after that - I can't find her residence place in 1869, and I can't find any marriages or deaths for her.

                I have looked through every page of every Mniší matriky record that is available online, and I still can't find anything else about these peoples' fates. I also searched in all the surrounding villages including Kopřivnice, Vlčovice, Ticha, Drnholec, Sýkorec, Hukvaldy, Horní Sklenov, Lichnov, and Bordovice.  I even searched Frenštát, Trojanovice, Frydlant nad Ostravicí, and Kunčice pod Ondrejníkem records.I went through the entire 1869 census for Mniší.

                Maybe all of these people had really long lives?

                Or maybe...they immigrated? The group of immigrants that came in 1856 supposedly had 120 people, but only a handful of them are mentioned by name. Of course, finding passenger lists for Galveston arrivals circa 1850-1860 involves crossing your fingers that some copy of a list is available in a newspaper here or in Bremen.

                Maybe the men changed their surnames?

                Does anybody have an idea of where to look next? My goal is to find out when and where all of these people died, and what became of them.

                Kate (Vasicek) Challis
                czechoutyourancestors.blogspot.com
              • FREDERICK J JANECEK
                Message 8 of 13 , Feb 21, 2014
                  Hi Linda

                  What is the bibliographic info for the set of 3 books: authors, place & publishers, dates of publication and if possible the ISBN numbers?

                  Děkuji,
                  Otec Beda

                    Message 10 of 13 , Feb 21, 2014

                      Would you be so kind as to post the ISBN numbers? These numbers are located in the first few pages at the very front of the book.

                      Keith A. Orsag

                      281-664-7051 Direct

                      832-362-0276 Cell

                      Keith.orsag@...

[...]

                      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                      This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, disseminating, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by email if you have received this email by mistake and delete this email from your system. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of M&H Enterprises, Inc. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email transmission, nor for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
                      ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
                      For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
                    • wiesner1873
                      Message 11 of 13 , Feb 21, 2014

                        Here is the information on these books:

                        The Pilgrims for Hope, vol. I, The Emigration to America during 1855-1914 from villages Mnisi, Ticha, and Vlcovice.  Second edition, 2005. By MUDr. Josef Simicek, 742 75 Lichnov, Czech Republic.

                        The Pilgrims for Hope, vol. II, The Emigration to America during 1856-1914 from Frenstat and Trojanovice.  Second edition, 2004. By MUDr. Josef Simicek, 742 75 Lichnov, Czech Republic.

                        Hope Has a Name-Texas, The Emigration to America from villages Bordovice, Lichnov, and Verovice. Third modified and extended edition, 2007.  By MUDr. Josef Simicek.

                        These were all written and self-published in the Czech Republic by MUDr. Josef Simicek.  I got mine several years ago from the Texas Czech Genealogical Society.  Some members had gone on a trip to the Czech Republic and brought some sets back.  I don’t know if they have any left.  As T. J. Slansky said, The Texas Czech Genealogical Society plans to publish them here in the near future:  http://www.txczgs.org/

                        Besides the set I donated to my El Campo, Texas public library, they may be available for research at some other libraries.  I know they are at the Texas Czech Heritage and Cultural Center in La Grange.  The TCHCC also has several other volumes which Dr. Simicek made available only to libraries. http://www.czechtexas.org/

                        Linda Wiesner

                      • T J Slansky
                        Message 12 of 13 , Feb 21, 2014

                          Linda,

                          I notice you answered several questions other person inquired.

                          I want to Thank You for donating the three books to the El Campo Library, I have seen them there. The Genealogy section on the library is nice.

                          These books were published by Dr. Josef Simicek in Lichnov, Moravia, CZ Rep.

                          I posted in an earlier message these book are out of print and the TX CZ Gen Soc has acquired the publishing rights.

                          Dr. Simicek has a small museum in Lichnov devoted to the people who went to Texas.

                          The museum is located in the front and across street of the church.

                          http://www.lichnov.cz/muzeum-vystehovalectvi/

                          I have visited with Dr. Simicek three times; last time was in May 2012.

                          Now back to the subject of El Campo.

                          I wish someone might have saved the old copies of the Svoboda Czech newspaper published (1931-57) in El Campo, TX and would make them available to the local library to be filmed.

                           Later in 1957-74; a section printed in Czech of the Svoboda publication became part of the El Campo Leader-News.

                          Earlier publication of the Svoboda was in La Grange, TX (1885-1931) and is available at the La Grange Public Library on microfilm.

                          For those of you do not know me, I was from El Campo for the first 20 years of my life.

                          This is the most activity I had seen on this site in a long period.

                          TJ Slansky

                          .

                          Message 13 of 13 , Feb 21, 2014
                            Tj
                            Way to go. You have all the facts. I was with u in 2012. Dr simicek is really nice man and has a wonderful library devoted to Texas immig.  And we should thank him for all he has done.  Like a lot of us he is getting older and not doing all the things he uses to do
                            Thanks for the info

                            Cullis Holub

                            Sent from my iPhone