Another Wesley Question

  • delsmaj@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2001
      Does anyone have information on who may have owned the store or stores in
      Wesley in the late 1800's and early 1900's.  Still looking for the person
      that young Jan Cyril Smajstrla came to TX with.  My Father in law Eugene(age
      92) said his Father said this man owned a store with a post office in it.
      Any clues?
      Thanks
      Del Smajstrla
    • Richard Garza
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2001
        Hi Del,
        Funny you should mention the store in Wesley. Some years ago we
        bought some window screens and a blue-enameled wood burning cookstove
        that came from the Wesley store. Years before, when the store was
        dismantled, several items were saved and stored in the Geo. Mikeska dance
        hall (since sold & moved to Round Top). The window screens were the
        perfect size we needed for our little chalupa in Nelsonville. Mr. & Mrs.
        John R. Mikeska, Jr. were kind enough to sell these items to us.
        Mr. Mikeska died of emphysema, maybe around '96 or '97. He had
        been a school teacher and principal at Bellville High School. His widow,
        Helen, is the one who told us about the items and the store. Do a web
        phone book search for Mikeskas in Brenham (a.c. 979) and look for an
        address on FM 2502. If she's still around, she may be able to point you
        to someone locally who may have the information you seek.
        Rick

        P.S. There are two Smajstrlas listed at Guardian Angel Cemetery in
        Wallis: Francis, b. 18 Nov 1887, d. 17 Dec 1966; and Henry, b. 1 Jun
        1878, d. 30 Aug 1943.

        On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:53:32 EDT delsmaj@... writes:
        Does anyone have information on who may have owned the store or stores in

        Wesley in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Still looking for the person

        that young Jan Cyril Smajstrla came to TX with. My Father in law
        Eugene(age
        92) said his Father said this man owned a store with a post office in it.

        Any clues?
        Thanks
        Del Smajstrla

        .
        GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
        http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
      • FCP FCP
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 24, 2001
          Hi Richard...where do you'al live...by reading
          this...sounds like you are in Nelsonville...have a
          great week...Frank Payne

          http://auctions.yahoo.com/
        • SA Barton
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1 9:22 AM
            Dear Del,

            The book, A History of the Elk Community, TX, Robert Cunningham, Waco: Jones Printing Co., 1997 has lots of cemetery lists and very interesting history, families, etc.
            I copied, "John Cyril and margy Agnes (Piter) Smajstrla to the Elk Community in 1905. John was born in Frenstat, arrived in US in 1895 at age 14, livedon a farm near Fayetteville under very
            harsh conditions, he went to Hoen outside West, TX., married Mary 11/21/1905.

            In your searching, by chance have you come across Veronica Sugarek married to ?Smajstrla; Smajstrla died, she married ?Adamec,and she died in 1948? Thank you.

            Take care, Sara Ann Barton