ORPHAN TRAIN CHILD IN SCHULENBURG, TX

  • charleskretzschmar
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 28, 2013

      I am still looking for Theresia Janda Genzer, adopted from the orphan train in Schulenburg, Texas.  She was born about 1894 in New York, New York.  She was adopted by Joseph and Mary Janda in Texas.  On 8 October 1914, she married Stephan Genzer in Fayette County, Texas.  Stephan died in a car wreck on 25 December 1916 in Fayette County, Texas.  They did not have children.  I do not know what happened to Theresia.  Most likely she married again.  Is anyone related to Theresia??  Also, is there a book that tracts orphan train children??  Is she in anyone's family tree with a maiden name Janda or Genzer?  Thank you for helping me.  Angelina Genzer Kretzschmar

    • michelle singleton
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2013
      These were just some of the websites that I found that may be helpful for you in your search. I also found a 1910 Census based on the information that you provided. I would appear that Theresia real last name was not Janda but something different. Janda appears to be her adopted last name. Good luck on your search. I will attach the census for you.

      https://www.google.com/search?q=list+of+children+from+orpan+trains&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

      http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2008/12/the-orphan-trai.html

      https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/United_States_Adoption_Research

      http://www.42explore2.com/orphan.htm

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/080634590X/ref=nosim/cyndislist-20

      http://orphantraindepot.org/research-and-registration/research-resources/

      Subject: [TexasCzechs] ORPHAN TRAIN CHILD IN SCHULENBURG, TX
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com

      Message 3 of 3 , Oct 3, 2013

         I just noticed that next year, The Federation of Genealogical Societies is meeting in San Antonio. The meeting is called "Gone to Texas", and the keynote address will be on Orphan Trains, by  Alison Moore and Phil Lancaster (I don't know who they are, but someone out there may)

        The meeting is August 27-30, 2014 at the Marriott Riverwalk
        889 East Market Street San Antonio, TX 78205

        Conveniently located directly across from the
        Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center.

        Phone: 210-224-4555 (mention FGS when booking)

        Rate: $129 per night
        Includes FREE Internet and reduced parking prices