RE: Granger Photo

  • dstruhall
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2013

      HI Dolores,

      Would you be willing to share the photo again?  My great-grandfather was the son of James Vincent and Frances (Korenek) Struhall.

      Thanks,

      Dustin

      ---In texasczechs@yahoogroups.com, <texassanta5@...> wrote:

      J.D., Glad you finally got the picture. I think it had to be around 1913 or 1914. My dad arrived at the port of Galveston in Sept. 1913, his destination was Granger.  His sponsors were the Struhall family.He was single, he and mother married in 1916.  Although the flag has only 46 stars, that dates the flag prior to 1912. New Mexico and Arizona entered the union in 1912. But the two soldiers in the picture could indicate recruiting for WW!.  You are correct Jno.P. Trlica had a studio for many years. A few years ago when we were at College Station for a grandson's graduation, we toured the campus. There was an exhibit of Mr. Trlica's photos..  Don't know if Prof. James Teer, a graduate of Granger High School had anything to do with that. But it was an interesting exhibit, a record of the growth of Granger and events in the surrounding area.  I have a number of his photos and will from time to time send them to you and the group.
      Dolores Miller

      "J.D. Kotrla-Chipps" <jdkc@...> wrote:
      I was finally able to view the picture on the website.  The caption at the bottom says it was taken by Jno Trilca.  According to the biography on him, he had a studio there in Granger from 1920-1950.  So I don't know about when it was taken.

      It's a really good picture, I'm going to try to enlarge it for more detail.

      Where did your dad settle after Galveston?

      Thanks for the picture.

      JD

      texassanta5@... wrote:

      J.D., I have tried so many times and even read the instructions, don't know what I'm doing wrong. My grandson is out of town till Sunday, so if you don't get one of these. I'll have him try.
      Although the flag has only 46 stars, and New Mexico & Arizona came into the union in 1912. I double checked my dad boat pass from the ship Wittkind, he arrived in Galveston in Sept. 1913. He saied from Bremen. Was from Stare Hamrey, now CCzech Republic. Hope you get this.
      Dolores

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Make Yahoo! your home page