Re: translation please

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 21, 2001
      I have found that the LDS FHC in San Angelo is most accessible to me, since
      I go there monthly, usually for 2 nights & days, and it is easy access.

      I was there this week. I had ordered several films from European records to
      cover the period of time I was searching. This is basically a blind search,
      since I don't know for sure where to look for Svach or Sommerfeld so I scan
      for both, and always look for Urban/Orsak, even though I have more
      information on that line. And I do not read German or Czech, though I can
      puzzle out more German. However, one document they had filmed was in Czech,
      and I found the following. I don't even know what it pertains to so hope
      you all can help me.

      ***name of book***
      NEJSTARSI' (umlat over s) ZD'ARSKE' (umlat over Z) URBA'RE (umlat over r)
      ***subtitle***
      KEDICI, PRIPAVIL,UVODEM,POZNAMKAMI A REJSTRIKEM OPATRILI

      BY DR. METODEJ ZEMEK & ING. JOSEF POHANKA

      On page 147
      ***heading*** Poczatky villa
      (listing of names)
      Urban 2 la'ny, plati o sv. J. 1/2sexag. 2 gr. a o sv. V. 1/2 sexag. 2 gr.,
      4 slepice

      Is this land holdings? Where? I have no idea if this is my family, but
      without some idea of where it is or what it is about I can't rule it out.
      Thanks for your help. (I also found some documents from Germany that
      probably are my Sommerfeld family, I have to find someone to translate for
      me).

      Pat Sommerfeld Lyon (mother Anna Victoria Urban, father Rinert F.
      Sommerfeld)
      patsroar@...
      Researching Maternal line: Urban, Orsag/Orsak, Svach, Simik, Jarma,
      Kralanowski, Vasku (Zbranek), Zapalac, Gabera, Malik, Bacak, Stasny,
      Ledvig/Ladwig/Ladeweg, Novak,Gaas, Vavra, Kunetka, Hubanek, Soukup, Cabron,
      Rejcek,Slovak, Kmiec et al
    • Marek Blahus
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2001
        A bit late but hope this helps. Marek Blahus

        > ***name of book***
        > NEJSTARSI' (umlat over s) ZD'ARSKE' (umlat over Z) URBA'RE (umlat over r)

        THE OLDEST REGISTERS FROM ZDAR

        > ***subtitle***
        > EDICI PRIPRAVIL,UVODEM,POZNAMKAMI A REJSTRIKEM OPATRILI

        Edition prepared, preface, notes and index provided by

        > BY DR. METODEJ ZEMEK & ING. JOSEF POHANKA

        Dr. Metodej Zemek & Ing. Josef Pohanka (Dr. and Ing. are titles)

        > ***heading*** Poczatky villa

        "Villa" is a Latin word. The heading means "village of Poczatky" (CZ is read
        the same as C with a hacek /you call it umlaut, but it isn't/ over it)

        > Urbar 2 la'ny, plati o sv. J. 1/2sexag. 2 gr. a o sv. V. 1/2 sexag. 2 gr.,
        > 4 slepice

        Urbar = Register
        2 la'ny = 2 large pieces of land (fields)
        plati o sv. J. = plati o svatem Janu = paid on the day of St. John (24th
        June)
        1/2sexag. = ??? (sexag. could be a Latin abbreviation), 1/2 means a half
        2 gr. = 2 grose = 2 gros (old money, my dictionary translates it as pennies
        or cents)
        a o sv. V. = a o svatem Vaclavu = and on the day of St. Wenceslaw (28th
        September)

        I have corrected some typos in the citations (missing letters, but not the
        accents).

        Hope this helps
        Marek Blahus
      • Tim Dybala
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2009
          Could someone please translate the verse on this headstone website attached)?
          It is the same for both only  otec  and  matka are appropriately changed.
          Thank you in advance.

          Tim Dybala
          Sugar Land

        • Martina Morrisová
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
            It says: Dear Father (Mother) sleeps here quietly and sweetly; why, oh why are they not awaken by the voices of their loving children?

            Martina

          • d1jezek@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2009
              Wow. The stuff they used to write on tombstones. i know it was meant as a tribute to their memory, but that's one of those mental images you'd rather not have.

              In a message dated 9/3/2009 11:59:18 A.M. Central Daylight Time, morrisova@... writes:
              It says: Dear Father (Mother) sleeps here quietly and sweetly; why, oh why are they notawaken by the voices of their loving children?

              Martina

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to: