Re: Tracing distant cousins

  • Ronda Trent
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2013
      Hank,
      I understand your frustration, but most newspapers do not allow such additions due to space.  We wanted grandchildren listed in obits and were told they didn't have the room.  In this case, there were all of 4 grandkids to be listed. The newspaper said to do it for one, they would have to do it for everyone.  They don't have genealogical searches in mind when they publish obits.
      Ronda
    • Lydia
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 18, 2013
        It probably depends on the newspaper. When my husband died, we could include anyone we wanted because we had to pay for the obituary.  I listed all six of my grandchildren.

        Some newspapers still offer free obits but many are moving toward charging for them. Our local paper will run the death notice for free but that mainly lists the service info.

        Lydia Mousner

        Sent from my iPad

        On Aug 17, 2013, at 9:22 PM, Ronda Trent <the4trents@...> wrote:

        Hank,
        I understand your frustration, but most newspapers do not allow such additions due to space.  We wanted grandchildren listed in obits and were told they didn't have the room.  In this case, there were all of 4 grandkids to be listed. The newspaper said to do it for one, they would have to do it for everyone.  They don't have genealogical searches in mind when they publish obits.
        Ronda

      • Julie Matus
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 18, 2013
          You can put as much as you want in an obituary in the Houston Chronicle, but you pay by the word!! It costs dearly!! Even back in 1992 for our son, it was very expensive. And a picture was even more, of course! Such a shame that it has to be so expensive. But???
          Julie

          --
          Researching:
          Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala