Re: Mother/baby burial in 1918

  • vmichna
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
      Olga (Michna) Grossman d. 18 Nov 1918, 16 years old, in Robstown, Nueces, TX
      Buried: 21 Nov 1918, Granger, Williamson, TX ?
      COD: Eclampsia
      Parents: John Anton Michna and Anna Sasin (my gr-grandparents)
      Husband: Joseph Grossman (1898-1983), son of John and Rosa (Zgabaj) Grossman

    • CWarschak@...
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                    Did Granger have a newspaper back then?
                    Or, perhaps, the Temple Daily Telegram.
                    Also, is it possible that she wasn't a practicing Catholic and, therefore, had her services handled
                    through one of the Protestant denominations?
                    You might also try to locate funeral home records that were possibly inherited by a successor of
                    the existing funeral home in 1918.
      • vmichna
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
          She was 16 and had been married in the Catholic Church in Jul 1918 and died in Nov 1918. I wonder if her burial was influenced by the fact she died in childbirth and that the baby died at the same time.

          Also, Granger did have a newspaper, but only remnants remain. They are on microfilm at UT-Austin. I have looked at them, but didn't find anything very useful.

          If anyone is looking for a historic newspaper for that area, Bartlett is a better choice because it is on-line and complete. You can also search it by keyword, date, etc. I have searched it for other subjects and found lots of useful info.

          Thanks for the angle about the funeral home. I'll have to do some research and see what funeral homes were in the area at the time.