RE: [TexasCzechs] Mother/baby burial in 1918

  • Matt Cross
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 15, 2013
      Have you tried the Williamson Co. site http://three-legged-willie.org/? They have cemetery listings searchable. In addition, issues of the Bartlett Tribune (Bartlett is split between Bell and Williamson counties) are online at the Portal to Texas History (http://texashistory.unt.edu/) that you might try searching in. You might also think about throwing the names out there for the group.

      Matt Cross

      > To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      > From: vmichna@...
      > Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:25:01 +0000
      > Subject: [TexasCzechs] Mother/baby burial in 1918
      >
      > I have a relative that died in childbirth. Her child also died and I have a copy of their death certificates stating that they were buried in Granger. However, I have not been able to find out which cemetery they are in.
      >
      > I have checked Catholic Archives and not found a record of an internment from that time period. In fact, there appeared to be a gap in the records, but I don't know if that was because there were no internments during that 2 month time or there was a lapse in record keeping.
      >
      > Findagrave hasn't helped either, because I don't think that they would have been given markers anyway. Another relative (my dad's bachelor uncle) died in 1958 and went without a marker for 50 years.
      >
      > So, do I rely on the death certificates that state that they are in a Granger somewhere? Or is there something that I don't know about Catholic burials from 1918 that may help me?
      >
      > Valorie Michna

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Roland Beausoleil
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 16, 2013
        Isn't 1918 the year when the world wide flu pandemic killed millions of people? It was so bad in some areas that it taxed the burial process. It might explain why burials weren't recorded for a while. Was Texas hit very bad with this pandemic?

            Beau

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 16, 2013
          Yes, 1918-1919 was the Spanish flu epidemic period, but I don't know how hard Texas was affected.

          Matt

          To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
          CC: rbeausoleil@...
          From: rbeausoleil@...
          Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 08:29:39 -0400

          Isn't 1918 the year when the world wide flu pandemic killed millions of people? It was so bad in some areas that it taxed the burial process. It might explain why burials weren't recorded for a while. Was Texas hit very bad with this pandemic?

              Beau

          Have you tried the Williamson Co. site http://three-legged-willie.org/? They have cemetery listings searchable. In addition, issues of the Bartlett Tribune (Bartlett is split between Bell and Williamson counties) are online at the Portal to Texas History (http://texashistory.unt.edu/) that you might try searching in. You might also think about throwing the names out there for the group.

          Matt Cross

          > To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
          > From: vmichna@...
          > Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 01:25:01 +0000
          > Subject: [TexasCzechs] Mother/baby burial in 1918
          >
          > I have a relative that died in childbirth. Her child also died and I have a copy of their death certificates stating that they were buried in Granger. However, I have not been able to find out which cemetery they are in.
          >
          > I have checked Catholic Archives and not found a record of an internment from that time period. In fact, there appeared to be a gap in the records, but I don't know if that was because there were no internments during that 2 month time or there was a lapse in record keeping.
          >
          > Findagrave hasn't helped either, because I don't think that they would have been given markers anyway. Another relative (my dad's bachelor uncle) died in 1958 and went without a marker for 50 years.
          >
          > So, do I rely on the death certificates that state that they are in a Granger somewhere? Or is there something that I don't know about Catholic burials from 1918 that may help me?
          >
          > Valorie Michna

          > <*> Your email settings:
          > Individual Email | Traditional
          >
          > <*> To change settings online go to:
          > (Yahoo! ID required)
          >
          > <*> To change settings via email:
          > TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
          > TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Terry G. Tate
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 16, 2013
          Here is a graph of the Pandemic in 1918.

          Terry G Tate
          There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, ‘Thy will be done,’ and those to whom God says, in the end, ‘Thy will be done.’ -C. S. Lewis

          Yes, 1918-1919 was the Spanish flu epidemic period, but I don't know how hard Texas was affected.   Matt
          To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com CC: rbeausoleil@... From: rbeausoleil@... Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 08:29:39 -0400 Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Mother/baby burial in 1918

          Message 5 of 12 , Jul 16, 2013
            Could you list the name of the mother and possibly her parents?   Someone, might have it in there family tree.  paulasmaggie

          • Pat Cosper
            Message 6 of 12 , Jul 16, 2013
              In the late 1970's the Army Corps of Engineers relocated graves that were once in the area and flood plain of what is now the Granger Lake and Dam. If there were no gravestones a funeral home temporary metal marker was placed on the relocated grave. Check w/Corps of Engineers for info. I worked for them at that time when the Granger Lake & Georgetown Lake (North Fork Lake at that time) were being constructed between 1973 & 1979. Good luck.
              Pat Cosper

              Sent from my iPhone

[...]

            • goodwater
              Message 7 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                The Flu epidemic hit hard in Texas. The Sisters at Seton Infirmary in Austin had to erect tents in the front of the hospital due to the overflow of the epidemic victims.

                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Matt Cross <lennonluv@...> wrote:

                > Yes, 1918-1919 was the Spanish flu epidemic period, but I don't know how hard Texas was affected.
                >
                > Matt
                >
                > To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                > CC: rbeausoleil@...
                > From: rbeausoleil@...
                > Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 08:29:39 -0400
                > Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Mother/baby burial in 1918

                > Isn't 1918 the year when the world wide flu
                > pandemic killed millions of people? It was so bad in some areas that it taxed
                > the burial process. It might explain why burials weren't recorded for a while.
                > Was Texas hit very bad with this pandemic?
                >
                > Beau

              • vmichna
                Message 8 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                  I don't know if the flu epidemic of 1918 even matters in this case because the cause of death for the mother was listed as eclampsia.

                  Also, I have looked in all of the obvious places (online and local town newspapers) already. I thought my visit to Catholic Archives was my chance to get some conclusive answers, but I was wrong.

                  I was just curious if there was any place that I haven't thought of yet. I've scoured the three-legged willie site, the Bartlett paper, findagrave, and Catholic Archives. The Taylor paper doesn't have much personal stuff like obits during that time period either. According to librarians in Corpus Christi there isn't an obit from that area either. The only record I have of her burial is the death certificate, but that is not very specific and leaves out many details.

                  Message 9 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                    Olga (Michna) Grossman d. 18 Nov 1918, 16 years old, in Robstown, Nueces, TX
                    Buried: 21 Nov 1918, Granger, Williamson, TX ?
                    COD: Eclampsia
                    Parents: John Anton Michna and Anna Sasin (my gr-grandparents)
                    Husband: Joseph Grossman (1898-1983), son of John and Rosa (Zgabaj) Grossman

                  • CWarschak@...
                    Message 10 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                                  Did Granger have a newspaper back then?
                                  Or, perhaps, the Temple Daily Telegram.
                                  Also, is it possible that she wasn't a practicing Catholic and, therefore, had her services handled
                                  through one of the Protestant denominations?
                                  You might also try to locate funeral home records that were possibly inherited by a successor of
                                  the existing funeral home in 1918.
                    • vmichna
                      Message 11 of 12 , Jul 17, 2013
                        She was 16 and had been married in the Catholic Church in Jul 1918 and died in Nov 1918. I wonder if her burial was influenced by the fact she died in childbirth and that the baby died at the same time.

                        Also, Granger did have a newspaper, but only remnants remain. They are on microfilm at UT-Austin. I have looked at them, but didn't find anything very useful.

                        If anyone is looking for a historic newspaper for that area, Bartlett is a better choice because it is on-line and complete. You can also search it by keyword, date, etc. I have searched it for other subjects and found lots of useful info.

                        Thanks for the angle about the funeral home. I'll have to do some research and see what funeral homes were in the area at the time.