Re: obit: Joseph Machalek

  • Ronda Trent
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2013
      The Joseph Machalek spoken of here was my 2nd great grandfather.  His naturalization papers (which my uncle has) state that he left Austria from the port of Bremen on or about 10 Sept 1868 and arrived at the port of Galveston on or about 28 Oct 1868.  He is listed on the Ships passenger rolls for the Bark Weser, with the last name spelled " Machalick on the passenger rolls.  He signed his name on is naturalization papers with an X.

      Thank you Rosemary for posting.  I will go see if I can get a copy of the obit from the paper. The family always said that he came from Moravia (Several of his sons helped to establish a Moravian church in the Temple area) but once my uncle saw Austria on his naturalization papers he was convinced we were Austrian. Silly man.  I've only just recently started my genealogical research, so this was very valuable information for me.

      Ronda Machalek Trent