Re: Geneology Site

  • charliemcdo
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 5, 2013
      Thanks Allen and Rosemary for the posts, you both gave me a good chuckle this afternoon with your posts. :-) I'm sure you will be happy to know I don't it's weird or strange, I'm looking at obits, and birth and death certificates, and digging up headstone photos on findagrave.com all the time, so I think it's perfectly normal! And huge thanks to you Rosemary, for your dedication to posting obits for all of us every day.

      Hope everyone had a good 4th of July yesterday!

      Charlie McDonald
      Researching Hudec, Kazmir, Pivec, and Muzny

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Allen Livanec <allen.livanec@...> wrote:

      > I have been using or adding tombstones to a site called www.findagrave.com . It is used world wide and it is "FREE"!! My wife thinks I'm weird cause I photograph headstones for this site.
      >
      > Allen Livanec
      > Pearland, TX.

    • Roland Beausoleil
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 6, 2013
        Hi Allen,

            I've belonged to Find-A-Grave for over 9 years. I've found a lot of useful info on FAG and have added many memorials and grave pics. The 'familyl links' feature is very useful in finding missing spouses (including maiden names), parents and children. I've also received a lot of help from members who have taken volunteer pics for me.

            Allen, thanks for your help in adding info to this website.

            Beau

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 6, 2013
            I've submitted many, many memorials primarily from published transcriptions. Although I don't "mow the rows," I know it's worth it. I've even entered some unmarked graves, the information coming from church records. It may be the only record that the person existed, especially if a child.

            Matt Cross

            To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
            CC: rbeausoleil@...

              Amazing how many of us are volunteers.  Matt Cross won’t brag, but he is a huge contributor.  Mine have mostly been family, but I’ve done some of the small cemeteries around Rosanky. Anyone with a camera (or phone now) can contribute. The photos are important, because some of the dates are listed wrong and it’s the only way to trust what you find listed when there is no photo. So consider volunteering if you aren’t already!

              Cindy

              Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2013 12:05 PM

              With my daughter as the driving force, we have fully documented one cemetery and have about 99% completed a second on FAG. We've already decided on the next one when we complete number 2. We've also responded to many requests from others.

              Ron Walcik

            • Ron Walcik
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 6, 2013
                We also take a GPS reading of each grave and post that with the memorial. Hopefully that will help others find the grave site if they are so inclined. Or they can call it up on Google Earth.

                Ron

                To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
                CC: rbeausoleil@...

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2013
                  I have read all the e-mails lately about people taking pictures of cemeteries.  I too have planned to do this for a hobby once I retire.  I live in Greenville, Ohio and want to contribute to the site of www.findagrave.com .

                  This sight has helped me find family in the past when a retired person from one of the northern states, John Christeson, photographed my grandparents graves in Granger, Texas. I e-mailed him to thank him for his efforts and found out more about his hobby.  He said that he did this several times each week and at his own pace. He also said that you never run out of cemeteries. (Thanks again, John).

                  For anyone that might be seeking a possible photo of a grave in the Greenville, Ohio area, you can contact me.  I do plan to retire in about another year and a half, but could get started with a few requests.

                  Joe Levek