National Holidays in the Czech Republic

  • FREDERICK J JANECEK
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2013
      National Holidays in the Czech Republic

      Today and tomorrow are two important Czech National Holidays.

      5 JulySaints Cyril and Methodius DayDen slovanských věrozvěstů Cyrila a MetodějeIn 863, Church teachers St. Cyril (Constantine) and Metoděj (Methodius) came from the Balkans to Great Moravia to propagate Christian faith and literacy.
      6 JulyJan Hus DayDen upálení mistra Jana HusaThe religious reformer Jan Hus was burned at the stake in 1415.

      This year is the 1150th Anniversary of Saints Cyril and Methodius coming to Moravia in the present day Czech Republic from Constantinople (present day Istanbul, Turkey).  They invented an alphabet and translated the Bible and church services in our own language.  We Czechs were the first Slavic people to become literate.  The 1150th Anniversary is celebrated this year in many countries in Europe.

      Most Czechs in Texas came from Moravia including my family.  Saints Cyril and Methodius are venerated by Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches.  There are seven Roman Catholic Churches named after Saints Cyril and Methodius:

      1. Cistern (Fayette County), on Hwy 95 between Flatonia and Smithville.
      2. Corpus Christi
      3. Damon, Brazoria County,
      4. Dubina. Fayette County between Weimar and Schulenburg
      5. Granger
      6. Marak  Milam County near Cameron
      7. Shiner
      The Bohemian Brethren (There are a number in Texas.) and the Moravian Brethren have their origin with Jan (John) Hus.