Genetic ancestry

  • vmichna
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 27 8:23 AM
      I just got my genetic ancestry results back and was slightly surprised by the results. Most were not surprising since I already knew a lot of my mother's non-Czech ancestry and that is solidly Northern European.

      However, I did find the results relating to my father's family interesting:
      9% Eastern European (not surprising)
      1% Southern European, including <0.1% Balkan (interesting)
      about 30% non-specific European (I think this refers to my Dad's German-Bohemian ancestry since those ancestors' families were transplants from somewhere else in Europe.)

      My Dad's must have some Northern European ancestors as well because the above percentages only add up to 40%.

      Has anyone else had this done and has it been useful? I am hoping to use this as a tool to aid in future research, especially where I run into gaps or big unknowns.

      Valorie Michna
    • vmichna
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2013
        Do any of ya'll have a genetic profile on 23andme? I recently tried it out and found out that I am 8% Eastern European, 26% Non-specific European, and a lot Northern European. Most of the Northern European is attributed to my mother, but a little comes from my father. Looking at it in more detail, I think that my Northern European ancestry includes some of my father's Bohemian-German ancestry.

        I am hoping to get some leads about my Czech ancestry from this and was wondering if anyone else had used genetic ancestry results.

        Also, if anyone has a profile on 23andme and thinks we may be related, I can share my profile. Many of us have family from the same part of the Czech Republic, so it is entirely possible.

        Valorie Michna
      • tonkawakan@att.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 18, 2013
          I have a profile on 23andme which is: 15% eastern European, 5.6% French & German, .6% Balkan, 2.2% non-specific southern European, & over half non-specific European. If you want, we can check to see if we come up as distant cousins

          Cheryl

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 18, 2013
            I have 0.9% non-specific Southern European with 0.1% Balkan as well. I am not sure where that came from. I am glad to see that someone else got some interesting results.

            I would love to compare results. I wonder if I am on your list of distant relatives? My profile is named Valorie Michna. If I am you could send me and message and I can share my profile.

            Valorie

          • tonkawakan@att.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 20, 2013
              Hi Valorie,

              I don't see your name on my list of DNA relatives...can you check your listing of DNA relatives to see if my name pops up?

              Cheryl