Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Fayette County Library in La Grange, TX

  • Cindy Neal
    Message 1 of 9 , May 23, 2013
      Ancestry is not free. Believe me, I cringe when I pay my annual membership.

      Family Search (https://familysearch.org) is free, but you will have to register to be able to see images of the records. They do have a lot of records that are not yet digitized, so you have to go to your local LDS Library to see them. I actually saw the Praha (St Mary’s) birth, marriage and death records in the Friendswood library many years ago. I ordered and had them sent to that library because it was closest to me, then went back 3 separate days to view the microfilm.

      That is to say that records you are looking for may already have been digitized. You can search their catalogue online (https://familysearch.org/catalog-search) then request the microfilm be sent to your local LDS Library.

      Cindy Neal

      From: charles kretzschmar <charleskretzschmar@...>
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 10:33 PM

      Has anyone at the library contact the Mormon church about putting the microfilm on familysearch.org???  My understanding they do not charge and are all volunteers.  I heard the Mormon church microfilms records and gives the donor a copy.  I never heard of them charging anyone.  Then there is ancestry.com too.  By putting records on the internet all of us can read them.  I have donated my books to their library in Salt Lake, Utah. Angelina

      No virus found in this message.

    • Paul Kurecka
      Message 2 of 9 , May 23, 2013
        Agreed. And that works IF you have a local LDS library with any convenient hours. The nearest one to me is well over 10 miles away and has part-time hours.

        Fortunately, the local public library has a "library edition" subscription to Ancestry.com. It permits access to all digitized images, but is restricted as to the "networking".

        Message 3 of 9 , May 23, 2013
          LDS library has free access to ancestry.com

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , May 23, 2013
            BTW, The obituaries from other states may well be of interest to many. I understand the group focus is on immigrants who settled in Téxas, but there are a lot of "potomeký" whose ancestors settled elsewhere (such as me and my family) or moved. The more we can learn and share, the more enriched we all are.