Fayette County Library in La Grange, TX

  • Rosemary Ermis
    Message 1 of 9 , May 22, 2013

      The Fayette County Library is open on Saturday from 10 to 1 and on Sunday from 1 to 5.  It is open from 10 to 6 Tuesday thru Thursday and from 10 to 5 on Friday.  The Library is closed on Monday.

      Their microfilm holdings include the LaGrange Journal and Fayette County Record.  I know the LaGrange Journal begins with January 1880.  There is also a LaGrange Svoboda that starts about 1886.  I tried checking it for deaths or obits but almost went crazy by the third issue due to the newspaper reporting deaths in Nebraska, Illinois, etc. as well.  Deaths are mixed in with people visiting and traveling and maybe a plug for a Czech business.  After locating two obits in one hour, I gave up on the LaGrange Svoboda.

      According to the head librarian, there are no plans to put these newspapers online in the future.  It cost the Library a fortune to get them microfilmed.

      Perhaps in the future I will do look-ups for the TexasCzechs but not at this time.

      Rosemary

    • Peggy Harmon
      Message 2 of 9 , May 22, 2013
        Thanks for the hours.  I can run over there one Sat or even a Sun. It would be my day off and could that run.  I understand cost of microfilm.  It is really time consuming doing that too.

        Peggy Harmon, CPC
        "Texas is My Heart"
        New Braunfels "is my home"

[...]

      • charles kretzschmar
        Message 3 of 9 , May 22, 2013
          Has anyone at the library contact the Mormon church about putting the microfilm on familysearch.org???  My understanding they do not charge and are all volunteers.  I heard the Mormon church microfilms records and gives the donor a copy.  I never heard of them charging anyone.  Then there is ancestry.com too.  By putting records on the internet all of us can read them.  I have donated my books to their library in Salt Lake, Utah. Angelina
        • Paul Kurecka
          Message 4 of 9 , May 22, 2013
            My understanding is that she mentioned the records are on microfilm.  Mormon Church representatives may not charge to digitize it, but through Ancestry.com (the only way for on-line access of what they have) they do charge.

            Perhaps we can find some volunteers as generous as she is and who have the available time, then arrange some inter-library loans.

            Has anyone at the library contact the Mormon church about putting the microfilm on familysearch.org???  My understanding they do not charge and are all volunteers.  I heard the Mormon church microfilms records and gives the donor a copy.  I never heard of them charging anyone.  Then there is ancestry.com too.  By putting records on the internet all of us can read them.  I have donated my books to their library in Salt Lake, Utah. Angelina
          • Sandy
            Message 5 of 9 , May 22, 2013
              familysearch.org is free and accessible from any computer. Check with local LDS (Mormon) church to see nearest family history center. Access to ancestry.com and familysearch.org is free and there are usually workers there to help you.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 9 , May 23, 2013
                Ancestry is not free. Believe me, I cringe when I pay my annual membership.

                Family Search (https://familysearch.org) is free, but you will have to register to be able to see images of the records. They do have a lot of records that are not yet digitized, so you have to go to your local LDS Library to see them. I actually saw the Praha (St Mary’s) birth, marriage and death records in the Friendswood library many years ago. I ordered and had them sent to that library because it was closest to me, then went back 3 separate days to view the microfilm.

                That is to say that records you are looking for may already have been digitized. You can search their catalogue online (https://familysearch.org/catalog-search) then request the microfilm be sent to your local LDS Library.

                Cindy Neal

                Message 7 of 9 , May 23, 2013
                  Agreed. And that works IF you have a local LDS library with any convenient hours. The nearest one to me is well over 10 miles away and has part-time hours.

                  Fortunately, the local public library has a "library edition" subscription to Ancestry.com. It permits access to all digitized images, but is restricted as to the "networking".

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 23, 2013
                    LDS library has free access to ancestry.com

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 23, 2013
                      BTW, The obituaries from other states may well be of interest to many. I understand the group focus is on immigrants who settled in Téxas, but there are a lot of "potomeký" whose ancestors settled elsewhere (such as me and my family) or moved. The more we can learn and share, the more enriched we all are.