Re: [TexasCzechs] obit: Jimmy Ray Matus

  • Mary Holy
    Message 1 of 2 , May 21 8:06 AM
      Jimmy was my first cousin.  My dad and his mom where brother and sister.

      On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Rosemary Ermis <roseermis@...> wrote:

      Jimmy Ray Matus, 52, of West, passed away Wednesday, April 17, 2013, in West, while providing the ultimate sacrifice to the community of West. A Rosary will be recited at 6 p.m. Monday, April 29, at St. Mary's Catholic Church of the Assumption in West by Janice Kaluza. Visitation will follow until 8 p.m. Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11 a.m. Tuesday, April 30, at St. Mary's Church in West with the Rev. Ed Karasek officiating. Burial will follow at St. Mary's Cemetery. Jimmy will lie in state at Aderhold Funeral Home.

      Jimmy was born Nov. 9, 1960, in Waco, to Raymond Rudolf and Lillian Frances (Soukup) Matus. He attended St. Mary's School, was a 1979 graduate of West High School, and also attended MCC. He grew up spending summers at his Uncle Raymond and Aunt Rosie Knapeks' house, where he developed his love of all things farm related.

      Jimmy started working at his family business, Westex Welding & Fire Apparatus, at a very young age. He continued to work there for the next 40 years, the last 20 managing all aspects of the business.

      On May 11, 2002, he married Gail Bradburry. She preceded him in death on Dec. 3, 2011.

      He was a member of St. Mary's Catholic Church of the Assumption, SPJST Lodge 54, Sokol West, where he served as past president, the State Fireman's Association, and was an honorary member of the Masonic Lodge in West. Jimmy also served on the West ISD school board and played the role of Santa Claus for many organizations including Sokol and the City of West.

      Jimmy loved to buy and sell equipment, attend fire shows, and especially spending time with his children and grandchildren. He also loved all his pets and farm animals. Jimmy was a very generous and giving person. It wasn't uncommon for him to buy something at a benefit auction only to turn around and donate it to the next benefit.

      Survivors include his parents, Raymond and Lillian Matus of West; son, Dustin Matus and fiancŽe, Becca Wright, of West; daughter, Jennifer Kalina and fiancŽ, Brian Walker, of Lorena; two step-daughters, Heather Roberson and Derek Barnes, of Bosqueville, and Karry Dornak and husband, Jeff, of Spring; two sisters, Kathy Matus and Cindy Matus, both of West; brother, Thomas Matus and wife, Ruth Ann, of Chalk Bluff; five grandchildren, Alana, Hailey, Hanna, Ava, and Aaden; three nieces, Whitney Dudik and husband, Martin, Emily Matus, and Taylor Matus; great-nieces, Lillie and Audrey; in-laws, Ivan and Florence Bradburry of Elm Mott; brother-in-law, Curtis Bradburry and partner, Bruce Harrison, of China Spring; two sisters-in-law, Cathy Bradburry and Sherry Matus and husband, Ben, all of West; the mother of his children, Edwina Powell; and many other relatives and friends.

      Active pallbearers will be David Dokupil, David Kofnovec, Michael Matus, Patrick Matus, David Dobecka, Alvin Soukup, Johnny Ray Hutyra, and Tim Soukup. Honorary pallbearers will be Westex Welding employees and Johnny Trlica.

      Memorials may be made to the West Fire Department and West Ambulance Association.

      You are invited to share your thoughts and memories of Jimmy in our memorial guest book found at www.aderholdfuneralhome.com.

      November 9, 1960 - April 17, 2013

      Sign the Guest Book at www.wacotrib.com

      Published in Waco Tribune-Herald from April 28 to April 29, 2013