Czech map/atlas

  • vmichna
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2013
      I am looking for good maps/atlas of Northern Moravia including Frenstat and Ostrava to the northern border with Poland. My family came from the village of Stara Bela (now a suberb of Ostrava) and Zabreh (a town half way between Ostrava and Opava).

      For example, I would love a local map of Stara Bela, so that I can look up the location of different houses that my family lived in. Online maps haven't done much for me and it is hard to get exactly what I want from them.

      Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

      Valorie Michna
    • Allen Livanec
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2013
        Try the website: www.mapy.cz

        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2013
          Valorie,

          Like Allen mentions, mapy.cz is probably the best one I have been using for a long time.  It changes from time to time for the features. What I like is you enter the name of the village and house number it will take to directly to the given location. You can ZOOM IN and see the Ariel view of the house.

          I had just found another Czech Map site in a BETA version which has different features.
          mapa.cz

          Both maps do not list any indicators.

          Last year at this time, I was in CZ Rep for almost three weeks.  On the last night, I stayed near the airport. Looking out for the fifth floor of the hotel I saw a number of Google cars with a large camera attached to the top which were parked in the parking lot.

          TJ

          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2013
                        Valerie,

                        My Olbrich ancestors lived in and around Alt Lublitz (now known as Lublice), which is also near Opava.  If you are successful in obtaining a source for maps such as you requested please pass that information on to the list.

                        Carroll Warschak
                        Waco, Texas
          • carlgenlnrt
            Message 5 of 7 , May 9, 2013
              Valorie,

              As said from the previous posts, The website: http://www.mapy.cz/ is a good atlas. When you zoom in you can see all the different house numbers. Also you can switch over to the historical maps under "Zmenit mapu" with the German town names.

              Have you seen this site? http://www.mza.cz/indikacniskici/
              It is not an atlas, but gives you a survey map of 1833 with the land owners. Go to the box "Název katastru" and type in your town "Alt Biela", then click the magnifying glass. Zoom in and click the hand icon to move the map around.

              Carl

              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "vmichna" <vmichna@...> wrote:

              > I am looking for good maps/atlas of Northern Moravia including Frenstat and Ostrava to the northern border with Poland. My family came from the village of Stara Bela (now a suberb of Ostrava) and Zabreh (a town half way between Ostrava and Opava).
              >
              > For example, I would love a local map of Stara Bela, so that I can look up the location of different houses that my family lived in. Online maps haven't done much for me and it is hard to get exactly what I want from them.
              >
              > Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
              >
              > Valorie Michna

            • vmichna
              Message 6 of 7 , May 9, 2013
                I appreciate the link. I want to preface that I have played around with some of these maps before. However, sometimes I wish that I could browse an actual paper map/atlas so I can get a better idea about the local area as well as the region. Is there anyway to obtain local maps that contain local details like those a municipality or tourist would use? Or find an atlas of a certain region in CR with all of those details?

                I do a lot of research over the internet, but sometimes I want to open a book, report, or map with a pen and paper and study at my own pace. I know this sounds terribly old-fashioned, but I know from experience that not everything that I am looking for can be found on the internet. Also, a paper copy is sometimes more useful than internet because I don't have to worry about the computer and can browse and investigate at my own leisure.

                Valorie Michna

                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "carlgenlnrt" <carlgenlnrt@...> wrote:

                > Valorie,
                >
                > As said from the previous posts, The website: http://www.mapy.cz/ is a good atlas. When you zoom in you can see all the different house numbers. Also you can switch over to the historical maps under "Zmenit mapu" with the German town names.
                >
                > Have you seen this site? http://www.mza.cz/indikacniskici/
                > It is not an atlas, but gives you a survey map of 1833 with the land owners. Go to the box "Název katastru" and type in your town "Alt Biela", then click the magnifying glass. Zoom in and click the hand icon to move the map around.
                >
                > Carl
                >
                > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "vmichna" <vmichna@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I am looking for good maps/atlas of Northern Moravia including Frenstat and Ostrava to the northern border with Poland. My family came from the village of Stara Bela (now a suberb of Ostrava) and Zabreh (a town half way between Ostrava and Opava).
                > >
                > > For example, I would love a local map of Stara Bela, so that I can look up the location of different houses that my family lived in. Online maps haven't done much for me and it is hard to get exactly what I want from them.
                > >
                > > Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
                > >
                > > Valorie Michna

              • carlgenlnrt
                Message 7 of 7 , May 9, 2013
                  Send an e-mail to the town website and they maybe can help you out.