Re: [TexasCzechs] Obits and death notices back in the day

  • Laura
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
      Six Mile, south of Victoria, was a large Czech community.  My ancestors, the Holy and Drgac families lived there a long time. Even after moving to Crosby, they went "home" to have their kids and get help with the babies for a while.

      Sent from my iPad

      On Apr 26, 2013, at 6:15 PM, "Rosemary Ermis" <roseermis@...> wrote:

      That’s an interesting question to answer.

      I decided to start checking the Victoria Advocate for obits issue by issue starting in 1900.  I think I found one Czech obit between 1900 and 1915.  I thought I had hit the jackpot when I started finding obits with the surname “Polka”.  Then I found out the “Polka” group was from Germany.  I’m up to 1958 now, but there are years missing.

      Earlier this week I went to the Fayette County Memorial Library and started an issue by issue search of the La Grange Journal on microfilm.  Between January 1880 to July 1881 I found seven Czech obits.

      When I have searched using Newspaper Archives, it depends on the years of the digitized newspapers.  I have found Czech obits prior to 1900 in Galveston.

      My guess, and someone who has done work on Czech demographics can correct me, is that the early Czechs were concentrated in the Fayette and Galveston County area prior to 1900.  So it depends on where your Czechs were living and the newspapers available.

      The SPJST should be putting the Vestnik online at some point starting in 1900.  The early issues are all in Czech.  I’m looking forward to this.  Although I can’t speak Czech, I can usually handle Czech obits as they follow the same pattern of other obits of the day.  And I have an in-house interpreter, my husband, who is currently taking the Advanced Czech Class in Schulenburg.  I’m hoping to find the obit of my elusive Magdalena Marek that her son Jerome said was from ”Europe” on the death certificate and her parents were Mr. and Mrs. Marek.

      Rosemary

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2014
        Jan Slubar died Nov 21, 1906 according to the Texas Death Index on Ancestry.com
      • Matt Cross
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 21, 2014
          His death certificate is available on FamilySearch. You will need to create a free login (if you have not already done so) to view the certificate. I have been going through the Schulenburg Sticker issues available online through the Portal to Texas History but did not find an obituary or death notice for Jan Slubar. Do you have further information on him such as who his spouse is?

          Matt Cross

          To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
          From: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 20:26:16 -0700

          Jan Slubar died Nov 21, 1906 according to the Texas Death Index on Ancestry.com