Re: [TexasCzechs] Gabera

  • Paul Kurecka
    Message 1 of 381 , Apr 19, 2013
      George,

      Possibly.

      I know that spelling of names change especially in efforts to "americanize" them. Almost always, this includes removing diacritical marks, but it could include adding vowels to aid others in pronounciation. (For some reason, many Czech family names are difficult for non-Czechs to pronounce; and in some cases, the family will "anglicize" the pronounciation.)

      Another way they may change is within the church records. Recall until the mid 1800s, most Czech/Moravian villagers were illiterate (seeing "+++" by a witness/godparent name meant that the priest wrote the name and the witness/godparent placed his/her mark). Spelling of names was mostly done by church (or some civil) officials and subject to the same potential changes that one sees in the spelling of English words prior to mass literacy.

      Kůrečka, for example, was originally spelled Kůrecžka, and I am the only one of my US based extended family who pronounces it as it is still pronounced in the Czech Republik (or who uses the grammatical cases).

      Pavel

      Pavel Kůrečka
      rod. ve Hodonín Okres (Vnorovy, Veselí Nad Moravou, atd.)

      Message 381 of 381 , Jul 25, 2013
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "vmichna" <vmichna@...> wrote:

        > Valorie Michna researching:
        > Michna from Frenstat
        > Sasin from Zabreh nad Odrou
        > Holain/Holan frmn Stara Bela
        > Pitlik from Stara Bela
        >
        > Sorry, I am only 1/4 Czech so my list is kinda short.

        I was going through some old posts on this board and saw that you are researching the Michna family from Frenstat.
        My Wiesner family originates from Frenstat. My g-g-grandfather, Wilhelm R. Wiesner, had two family members marry into the Michna family. My 4th g-g-uncle, Antonin Wiesner b. 1795 Frenstat, married Johana Michna b. 1799, daughter of Martin Michna. My g-g-grandfather's sister, Alzbeta Wiesner b. 1844 Frenstat, married Jan Michna b. 1828, son of Tomas Michna.

        I wonder if either of them connect with your line.

        Linda