Re: [TexasCzechs] Valicek/Hodanek Question

  • Robert and Nancy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 13, 2013
    Melissa,

    I did some more digging and found this obit for Jane Valicek that names her brothers Anton Hodanek of Shiner and Joe Hodanek of Seymour.  Her death certificate names her father as Frank Hodanek.

    So with those three names and their mother Barbara, I found a 1900 census record with a family living in Gonzales County that is pretty likely to be them.  The Joseph Hodanek in that family is mostly likely NOT the Joseph Hodanek from Flatonia because the age difference in the records is way off.  That census shows the father Frank as being born in November 1840.  With that information I found a death record for a Frank Hodanek who died on May 9, 1930 in Gilliland, Knox Co., Texas.  The informant for that certificate was Joseph Hodanek and it shows that Frank Hodanek was born on January 1, 1840.

    I found a birth record for a Frantisek Hodanek on Jan 1, 1840 in the village of Dehtare, Bohemia in the exact same house as my 3rd great grandmother was born (Anna Hodanek Valenta - wife of Josef Valenta).  They did not have the same parents, but obviously are somehow related.

    I still haven't found anything that links this family to Josef Hodanek of Flatonia, but I have barely scratched the surface of my Hodanek research.

    I did find another interesting coincidence though.  There seem to be a lot of connections between the Valentas and Hodaneks.  I found a death record for Mary Elizabeth Agnes Hodanek of Seymour, wife of Joe Hodanek.  Her parents were James Benish and Agnes Valenta -- another possible Valenta relative for me to research.

    I'm going to keep working on the Hodaneks of Dehtare to see if I can connect them to Josef Hodanek of Flatonia.  And the next time I go to the Hallettsville library, I will see if I can find an obituary in the Shiner newspaper for Anton Hodanek and see if that gives us more clues.

    Let me know if you find any more information in the meantime.

    Nancy Schmidt