Re: [TexasCzechs] Obit - Jimmy Brosch

  • Charlie Parker
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 25, 2013
      My daughter went to Jimmy's funeral and she said it really touched her.  Having anyone bring their instruments and join into "his" polka was an especially wonderful touch...he will be missed!

      Thank you,
      Clarissa

      On Mar 25, 2013, at 6:29 PM, Edward Kadlecek <kadlecekej@...> wrote:

      The steel guitar player was Melvin (Skarke) I think.  Ed

      To: texasczechs@yahoogroups.com; roxannjohnson@...; jbyrd49@...
      From: lennonluv@...
      Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:28:58 +0000
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] Obit - Jimmy Brosch

      Schulenburg Sticker, 14 Mar 2013, page 2

      By Andy Behlen

      Schulenburg Sticker Staff

      Polka music lost a great man. Praha-native Jimmy Brosch died Friday, March 1. He was 89 years old. Brosch suffered a heart attack while traveling to a fundraising concert on Feb. 24. His health never recovered.

      Brosch grew up in Praha where he learned to play the fiddle at a young age. He emulated country music he heard on the radio as a child. He later learned to play the saxophone. When he started playing in polka bands, Brosch incorporated elements of country into his playing. One of his bands even featured a steel guitar.

      One of his most famous compositions was the “Corn Cockle Polka,” which is now a standard among central Texas Czech bands.

      Over the years Brosch traveled throughout Texas and across the country. He was in many ways a great ambassador of polka music. Once while visiting some friends in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana, Brosch played the Cajun favorite “Jole Blon” to the crowd. The group was so impressed with his rendition that they asked where in Louisiana he came from. He replied, “I’m a Bohemian coon --- from around Schulenburg.”

      Later in life, Brosch worked to preserve polka music’s rich history in central Texas. He teamed with author Laura Cernoch Parker two years ago to document some of the great Texas polka bands in the book Jimmy Brosch Remembers Twenty Legendary Texas Czech Polka Bands. The book covered well known artists like Adolf Hofner and His Texans, but also obscure yet influential bands like Schulenburg’s Gold Chain Bohemians.

      Brosch was also a pilot. He served as an Army Air Corps mechanic in India during World War II. After the war, he learned to fly and earned his pilot’s license. He retired from Southern Pacific Railroad after working 38 years.

      A polka mass funeral was held on Thursday, March 7 at St. Bartholomew the Apostle Catholic Church in Katy. Burial was at Memorial Oaks Cemetery in Katy.

      Brosch is survived by Lucy, his wife of 64 years, and four children, daughters Paula Krametbauer and Janice Hall, and sons Jeff and Bruce Brosch.