HELLO!!

  • Sandra Tillery
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24, 2013
    I must have been having a senior moment because I forgot to attach the pix.

    Sandy

    Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2013
      Hello,

      My name is Joe Levek. Your letter was of interest to me because of family ties also to this region.

      My grandmother was Josephine Okruhlik, born in Novohrad, Texas, also in the year 1891.  I checked to see what county Praha and Novohrad, Texas were in.  Praha turned out to be in Fayette County and Novohrad was in Lavaca County. (About 4 miles apart in distance) Your great grandparents, Jan and Veronika Vanek lived in Fayette County, according to the census records of 1900. (Fayette County, Precinct #6).   The Okruhlik's lived in Lavaca County, Precienct 2, census of 1900.

      I don't know if it made any difference back then of what school they attended since it was in two different counties.  I would assume that they went to the closest school to their homes.

      So, perhaps, our grandmother's went to school together.  I looked at your picture real close, but I couldn't tell if my grandmother was among the group, mostly because of of me not having a picture of her early years.

      I wonder if anyone has knowledge of what schools were in that area? I did find a sight that talked about
      an old "Grieve School" that was built for the German people.
       http://www.texasescapes.com/CentralTexasTownsSouth/Novohrad-Texas.htm.

      My grandmother was born German, married a Czech, learned that language, and finally learned English.  She scolded me once for talking to her in English, "Talk Czech to me". I said, "Why grandma?"  Her response was "I'm tried of learning languages".  She was more comfortable talking Czech, and I was more comfortable talking English.

      Please keep me informed of any information that you might find about your picture.  You can e-mail personally at jlevek@... if you wish.

      Joe Levek