Re: Orsaks/Valiguras/Bitalas Families

  • jdavid2tx
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2013
      There is great information about this family via Find a Grave at Assumption Cemetery, Ganado, Jackson County. "Pavel F. (Fedora) "Paul" Orsak
      Birth: Oct. 19, 1847, Austria
      Death: Oct. 23, 1933
      Ganado
      Jackson County
      Texas, USA
      Pavel, age 21, left Moravia, arriving in 1873, because he was a younger son and it was tradition that the eldest son would inherit the family farm and house, so he came to Texas on his own. He took the Steamship Strassburg from Bremen, Germany bound for New Orleans, LA. then on to Lavaca Co. TX. He worked hard, saved his money, married Rozalie, started a family and bought his first 155 acres in Lavaca Co., TX. Paul F. was naturalized in 1906. Census' records have Pavel as being from the village of Rosinka, Moravia, which means 'raisin'. Novy Hrozenhov, CZ means 'new raisin', where the Orsak name was very prominent. Paul farmed for 55 years in Lavaca Co. and retired moving south to Jackson Co. living with his youngest children until his death." Rozalie A. "Fannie" Vanek Orsak

      Birth: Dec. 8, 1856, Austria
      Death: Sep. 28, 1939
      Ganado
      Jackson County
      Texas, USA
      Rosalie A. Vanak[Vanek] was born on 08 Dec 1858 in Germany [Austria] to Mathyas John Vanek & Martha Chrystyn Hajek. She immigrated to America in 1875, married Pavel F. Orsak on 07 Jan 1879 and had nine children. She died on 28 Sep 1939 in Ganado, TX." She is most likely the sister of Jan Vanek who married Veronika Kulak.
      It lists their children as:
      Charles John Orsak (1880 - 1957)*
      Hermina Orsak Bubenik (1882 - 1946)*
      Amalie Fedora Orsak Sedlacek (1883 - 1961)*
      Frances Orsak Morris (1886 - 1969)*
      Joseph Fedora Orsak (1887 - 1973)*
      Caroline H Fedora Orsak Olsovsky (1891 - 1958)*
      Jim Frank (Vincenc Fedora) Orsak (1891 - 1973)*
      Agnes Irma Fedora Orsak Vanek (1894 - 1989)*

      Agnes is listed on their 1900 enumeration in JP2, Lavaca County. I don't know why they were listed in the families of two different children in 1930. I can think of three or four possible reasons.