Re: [TexasCzechs] Notes in baptism record

  • David Crider
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 20, 2013
      Valerie,

      It appears to me that your illegible phrase must be one of the following or variant thereof, depending upon whether the priest was using Classical Latin, Late Latin, Church Latin, or the so-called "American Latin," and also upon how well educated he was in it.
      "Puer illegitimus" [illegitimate boy]
      "Puella illegitima" [illegitimate girl]
      "Puellum illegitimum" [illegitimate child]

      Better yet, if you wish, you may send me a scan of the document (or any other documents) and I will try to decipher the handwriting and translate.  Latin, German, Czech, Slovak, Polish, it does not matter.

      David