Re: Citation of Matriky records

  • kate.challis
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
      My friend emailed Elizabeth Shown Mills, and here is what she said:

      "In the case of citing a parish register online, you have done a good job of identifying the three layers that we have to consider. One question: If the image is being accessed online, then where do we acquire the specific detail to identify the original record in the archive? If we are getting that data from what the website provides, then the three layers of our citation would normally be

      · The data we see in the imaged register
      · The specifics for the website that provides those images
      · The details that the website provides for the original archival location (i.e., the source cited by our source)"

      This leads me to want to cite sources like this:

      The Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, district of Nový Jičín, Lichnov and Bordovice Births and Index to Births 1785-1809, Lichnov, digital image 1, page 1, first entry, 3 February 1785, Johann Wenzel Peter; call number P VIII 3, inventory number 1463, Regional Archives of Opava (ZAO), Opava, Czech Republic; Regional Archives of Opava, Archivní Vade Mecum, http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 12 February 2013.

      I think the other ideas that y'all have posted are good, too. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. Citation isn't an exact science, I guess!

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

      > Hey y'all,
      >
      > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
      >
      > Kate

    • kate.challis
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
        Did you know that your computer saves information about the date that you first saved a file to your hard drive? It's extra work to include it in a citation, to be sure, but just wanted to point out that you don't have to rely on your memory. Except to remember to do it, haha.

        I really appreciate your input, by the way. Thanks!