Re: Citation of Matriky records

  • vmichna
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
      I like the idea of citing the date that you accessed the database, although I have not done that because I have saved every image onto my hard drive for easier access. I also have accessed the records too many times to count, so I don't bother keeping up with dates. Instead I saved the web address in my master list description.

      This also keeps me from forgetting the web address on bad memory days. If the data were on a website in an index created from the original records, I would definately use the date that I accessed the data. But seeing that I use the original image and interpret it myself, I first cite the book from which it came from.

      Here are examples of typical citations for me. I follow the arthur, title, publication info, page format. The reason the second record is different is because they provided different publication info for that archive so I had to improvise.

      Rimskokatolicka fara Ostrava-Stara Bela, Marriage Record: Stara Bela, Moravia, Austria 1843-1886, (Inventory #1884), Page 113, Image 57.

      Farni urad Jindrichovice pod Smrkem, Birth Records: Jindrichovice pod Smrkem 1852-1861, (matriky.soalitomerice.cz/), Image 98/136.

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

      > Here is the best I can figure by myself. What do you think?
      > CITING MATRIKY SOURCES
      >
      > Source List Entry:
      > Czech Republic. North Moravia. "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov." Digital images. Regional Archives of Opava. Archivní Vade Mecum. http://www.matriky.archives.cz : February 2013
      >
      > First Reference Note:
      > Øímskokatolická fara Lichnov, o. Nový Jièín, N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," digital images, Czech Republic, North Moravia. Archivní Vade Mecum (http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 10 Feb 2013), image 19.
      >
      > OR
      >
      > The Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, district of Nový Jièín. "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," digital images, Czech Republic, North Moravia. Archivní Vade Mecum (http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 10 Feb 2013), image 19.
      >
      > Subsequent Reference Notes:
      > Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," image 19.
      >
      > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey y'all,
      > >
      > > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
      > >
      > > Kate

    • kate.challis
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
        I emailed familysearch, and here is their response:

        Dear Kate Challis,
        Thank you for contacting FamilySearch regarding the correct way to cite sources from the matriky.archives.cz site.

        We have attached a document that outlines the correct format for citing sources. There is a Related References tab at the bottom of the article that you would benefit from reading. In this article there is a site for Internet Site source citing that you may find valuable.

        We signed into Google and keyed up matriky.archives.cz. The second hit gave us a site called "Czech Genealogy for Beginners." You may find some good information there as well.

        In case you are not aware of how to find one, we have also attached a document that will walk you through the process of locating a Family History Center near you. There are skilled volunteers there who will be pleased to work with you. We suggest you call ahead for an appointment.

        Please click on the blue links below to open the documents.

        You are probably aware of the 8 Czech sites currently available on familysearch.org.

        Please check this site occasionally, as there will be additions to those sites already online in the future that may be of assistance to you in searching out your family.

        We thank you for your e-mail, and wish you continued success in your family research.

        Sincerely,

        FamilySearch
        Patron and Partner Services
        support@...

        Here is the link that familysearch included:
        https://help.familysearch.org/kb/UserGuide/en/fsbeta/wiki/r_wiki_examples_of_source_citations_in_wiki_articles.html

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

        > Hey y'all,
        >
        > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
        >
        > Kate

      • kate.challis
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
          My friend emailed Elizabeth Shown Mills, and here is what she said:

          "In the case of citing a parish register online, you have done a good job of identifying the three layers that we have to consider. One question: If the image is being accessed online, then where do we acquire the specific detail to identify the original record in the archive? If we are getting that data from what the website provides, then the three layers of our citation would normally be

          · The data we see in the imaged register
          · The specifics for the website that provides those images
          · The details that the website provides for the original archival location (i.e., the source cited by our source)"

          This leads me to want to cite sources like this:

          The Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, district of Nový Jičín, Lichnov and Bordovice Births and Index to Births 1785-1809, Lichnov, digital image 1, page 1, first entry, 3 February 1785, Johann Wenzel Peter; call number P VIII 3, inventory number 1463, Regional Archives of Opava (ZAO), Opava, Czech Republic; Regional Archives of Opava, Archivní Vade Mecum, http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 12 February 2013.

          I think the other ideas that y'all have posted are good, too. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. Citation isn't an exact science, I guess!

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

          > Hey y'all,
          >
          > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
          >
          > Kate

        • kate.challis
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
            Did you know that your computer saves information about the date that you first saved a file to your hard drive? It's extra work to include it in a citation, to be sure, but just wanted to point out that you don't have to rely on your memory. Except to remember to do it, haha.

            I really appreciate your input, by the way. Thanks!