Re: Citation of Matriky records

  • kate.challis
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
      Here is the best I can figure by myself. What do you think?
      CITING MATRIKY SOURCES

      Source List Entry:
      Czech Republic. North Moravia. "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov." Digital images. Regional Archives of Opava. Archivní Vade Mecum. http://www.matriky.archives.cz : February 2013

      First Reference Note:
      Římskokatolická fara Lichnov, o. Nový Jičín, N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," digital images, Czech Republic, North Moravia. Archivní Vade Mecum (http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 10 Feb 2013), image 19.

      OR

      The Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, district of Nový Jičín. "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," digital images, Czech Republic, North Moravia. Archivní Vade Mecum (http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 10 Feb 2013), image 19.

      Subsequent Reference Notes:
      Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," image 19.

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

      > Hey y'all,
      >
      > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
      >
      > Kate

    • Robert and Nancy
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
        Kate,

        I agonized for quite a while because I didn't know the proper way to cite a
        source. I finally decided I needed to get off the fence and just do it in a
        way that made sense to me. So this is what I came up with for a citation
        (this example is the birth record of my 3rd great grandfather, Jan Petr, in
        the village of Ticha):

        Ticha Parish Register #1534, P XIII 3, 1792-1824; Opava State District
        Archives; http://matriky.archives.cz, Page 201, digital image 102; fifth
        entry; Birth record of Johann Petr

        I'm sure everyone will have other ways of citing their sources and I would
        like to see them also to make sure I am not forgetting something, or to see
        if there is an easier way of doing it. Hope this helps!

        Nancy Schmidt

        > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database.
        > What are your thoughts?
        >
        > Kate

      • Matt Cross
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
          Although for the Trebon archives, I have mine cited as such:

          SRA Trebon Digital Archives (http://digi.ceskearchivy.cz/index_main.php?lang=en), Parish Register Netolice - Book 12 [M 1725-1784], image 292.

          > To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
          > From: rschmidt@...
          > Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 12:58:37 -0600
          > Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Citation of Matriky records
          >
          > Kate,
          >
          > I agonized for quite a while because I didn't know the proper way to cite a
          > source. I finally decided I needed to get off the fence and just do it in a
          > way that made sense to me. So this is what I came up with for a citation
          > (this example is the birth record of my 3rd great grandfather, Jan Petr, in
          > the village of Ticha):
          >
          > Ticha Parish Register #1534, P XIII 3, 1792-1824; Opava State District
          > Archives; http://matriky.archives.cz, Page 201, digital image 102; fifth
          > entry; Birth record of Johann Petr
          >
          > I'm sure everyone will have other ways of citing their sources and I would
          > like to see them also to make sure I am not forgetting something, or to see
          > if there is an easier way of doing it. Hope this helps!
          >
          > Nancy Schmidt

        • kate.challis
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
            Are the matriky records in the Opava State District Archives, or the Regional Archives of Opava?

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Robert and Nancy" wrote:

            > Kate,
            >
            > I agonized for quite a while because I didn't know the proper way to cite a
            > source. I finally decided I needed to get off the fence and just do it in a
            > way that made sense to me. So this is what I came up with for a citation
            > (this example is the birth record of my 3rd great grandfather, Jan Petr, in
            > the village of Ticha):
            >
            > Ticha Parish Register #1534, P XIII 3, 1792-1824; Opava State District
            > Archives; http://matriky.archives.cz, Page 201, digital image 102; fifth
            > entry; Birth record of Johann Petr
            >
            > I'm sure everyone will have other ways of citing their sources and I would
            > like to see them also to make sure I am not forgetting something, or to see
            > if there is an easier way of doing it. Hope this helps!
            >
            > Nancy Schmidt

          • kate.challis
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
              Also, I greatly appreciate your comment, and a reminder to cite the entry and who is in the entry.

              GAH citing sources is not my favorite part of genealogy.

              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Robert and Nancy" wrote:

              > Kate,
              >
              > I agonized for quite a while because I didn't know the proper way to cite a
              > source. I finally decided I needed to get off the fence and just do it in a
              > way that made sense to me. So this is what I came up with for a citation
              > (this example is the birth record of my 3rd great grandfather, Jan Petr, in
              > the village of Ticha):
              >
              > Ticha Parish Register #1534, P XIII 3, 1792-1824; Opava State District
              > Archives; http://matriky.archives.cz, Page 201, digital image 102; fifth
              > entry; Birth record of Johann Petr
              >
              > I'm sure everyone will have other ways of citing their sources and I would
              > like to see them also to make sure I am not forgetting something, or to see
              > if there is an easier way of doing it. Hope this helps!
              >
              > Nancy Schmidt

            • Patricia Elleven
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 11, 2013
                Hi,

                While we're on the topic of the Cz archives, I have a few questions.

                Well the first is not a question, but I'm using the actapublica.eu archives for southern Moravia. The pages are REALLY slow to load, but they are upgrading now. Hopefully it will improve. Still it's exciting.

                OK, questions!
                #1 -Does anyone have recommendations for genealogists in the Czech Republic who will translate archive entries? A few times I used Blanka Lednicka, who runs the wonderful but infrequently updated blog Czech Genealogy for Beginners...but she may be sick. Her mail came back with an auto responding that google translates as she is ill will not be answering mail for a while.

                I can decipher the later archives -mid-late 19th century or so - with some work, but earlier than that, I just can't read the handwriting. Especially if it's in German kurrent script. Yikes. I need help.

                #2 - same question but for Hungary. Has anyone done research in Hungary? Do you know of any researchers there?

                #3 - The actapublic.eu archives cannot be printed as far as I can tell. I end up taking screen shots. Has anyone ever written away to get physical hard copies of their treasured finds?

                Thank,

                Pat Elleven

                Researching Elleven, Janku/Janeck, Zhanel, Pavlacka, Sevcik

                2a. Citation of Matriky records
                    From: kate.challis
                2b. Re: Citation of Matriky records
                    From: Robert and Nancy
                2c. Re: Citation of Matriky records
                    From: Matt Cross
                2d. Re: Citation of Matriky records
                    From: kate.challis
              • vmichna
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
                  I'll throw my 2 cents in for what it is worth. I took the info for the records that was on the cover page for a particular volume and plugged it into the fields in the master sources list in FTM.

                  Rimskokatolicka fara Ostrava-Stara Bela, Marriage Record: Stara Bela, Moravia, Austria 1843-1886, (Inventory #1884), Page 113, Image 57.

                  Some fields lined up perfectly and others I improvised on, but all of the info was recorded in the master list. I also included a description and the web address in the master list description. This way every record from the Matriky looks the same in my citations and all I have to do is specify a specific page when I use a certain book over and over again.

                  I fudged my master source titles by calling them something like "Marriage Record: Town, Province, Country yyyy-yyyyy", but everything else like the author, call number, location, ect stayed the same and was plugged into the corresponding field in the master list.

                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

                  > Here is the best I can figure by myself. What do you think?
                  > CITING MATRIKY SOURCES
                  >
                  > Source List Entry:
                  > Czech Republic. North Moravia. "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov." Digital images. Regional Archives of Opava. Archivní Vade Mecum. http://www.matriky.archives.cz : February 2013
                  >
                  > First Reference Note:
                  > Øímskokatolická fara Lichnov, o. Nový Jièín, N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," digital images, Czech Republic, North Moravia. Archivní Vade Mecum (http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 10 Feb 2013), image 19.
                  >
                  > OR
                  >
                  > The Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, district of Nový Jièín. "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," digital images, Czech Republic, North Moravia. Archivní Vade Mecum (http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 10 Feb 2013), image 19.
                  >
                  > Subsequent Reference Notes:
                  > Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," image 19.
                  >
                  > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hey y'all,
                  > >
                  > > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
                  > >
                  > > Kate

                • vmichna
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
                    If I were writing a caption I may do something like:

                    Baptimal record of Jan Michna born June 6, 1873 in Frenstat, Moravia. Photo courtesy of State Regional Archive, Opava, Czech Republic- Birth Records: Frenstat, Moravia 1805-1822.

                    Then I would include a full citation of that specific volume in my references.

                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

                    > Hey y'all,
                    >
                    > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
                    >
                    > Kate

                  • vmichna
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
                      I like the idea of citing the date that you accessed the database, although I have not done that because I have saved every image onto my hard drive for easier access. I also have accessed the records too many times to count, so I don't bother keeping up with dates. Instead I saved the web address in my master list description.

                      This also keeps me from forgetting the web address on bad memory days. If the data were on a website in an index created from the original records, I would definately use the date that I accessed the data. But seeing that I use the original image and interpret it myself, I first cite the book from which it came from.

                      Here are examples of typical citations for me. I follow the arthur, title, publication info, page format. The reason the second record is different is because they provided different publication info for that archive so I had to improvise.

                      Rimskokatolicka fara Ostrava-Stara Bela, Marriage Record: Stara Bela, Moravia, Austria 1843-1886, (Inventory #1884), Page 113, Image 57.

                      Farni urad Jindrichovice pod Smrkem, Birth Records: Jindrichovice pod Smrkem 1852-1861, (matriky.soalitomerice.cz/), Image 98/136.

                      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

                      > Here is the best I can figure by myself. What do you think?
                      > CITING MATRIKY SOURCES
                      >
                      > Source List Entry:
                      > Czech Republic. North Moravia. "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov." Digital images. Regional Archives of Opava. Archivní Vade Mecum. http://www.matriky.archives.cz : February 2013
                      >
                      > First Reference Note:
                      > Øímskokatolická fara Lichnov, o. Nový Jièín, N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," digital images, Czech Republic, North Moravia. Archivní Vade Mecum (http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 10 Feb 2013), image 19.
                      >
                      > OR
                      >
                      > The Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, district of Nový Jièín. "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," digital images, Czech Republic, North Moravia. Archivní Vade Mecum (http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 10 Feb 2013), image 19.
                      >
                      > Subsequent Reference Notes:
                      > Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, "N, I-N • 1833 - 1859 • 1470 • P VIII 10 • Lichnov," image 19.
                      >
                      > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey y'all,
                      > >
                      > > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
                      > >
                      > > Kate

                    • kate.challis
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
                        I emailed familysearch, and here is their response:

                        Dear Kate Challis,
                        Thank you for contacting FamilySearch regarding the correct way to cite sources from the matriky.archives.cz site.

                        We have attached a document that outlines the correct format for citing sources. There is a Related References tab at the bottom of the article that you would benefit from reading. In this article there is a site for Internet Site source citing that you may find valuable.

                        We signed into Google and keyed up matriky.archives.cz. The second hit gave us a site called "Czech Genealogy for Beginners." You may find some good information there as well.

                        In case you are not aware of how to find one, we have also attached a document that will walk you through the process of locating a Family History Center near you. There are skilled volunteers there who will be pleased to work with you. We suggest you call ahead for an appointment.

                        Please click on the blue links below to open the documents.

                        You are probably aware of the 8 Czech sites currently available on familysearch.org.

                        Please check this site occasionally, as there will be additions to those sites already online in the future that may be of assistance to you in searching out your family.

                        We thank you for your e-mail, and wish you continued success in your family research.

                        Sincerely,

                        FamilySearch
                        Patron and Partner Services
                        support@...

                        Here is the link that familysearch included:
                        https://help.familysearch.org/kb/UserGuide/en/fsbeta/wiki/r_wiki_examples_of_source_citations_in_wiki_articles.html

                        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

                        > Hey y'all,
                        >
                        > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
                        >
                        > Kate

                      • kate.challis
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
                          My friend emailed Elizabeth Shown Mills, and here is what she said:

                          "In the case of citing a parish register online, you have done a good job of identifying the three layers that we have to consider. One question: If the image is being accessed online, then where do we acquire the specific detail to identify the original record in the archive? If we are getting that data from what the website provides, then the three layers of our citation would normally be

                          · The data we see in the imaged register
                          · The specifics for the website that provides those images
                          · The details that the website provides for the original archival location (i.e., the source cited by our source)"

                          This leads me to want to cite sources like this:

                          The Roman Catholic Parish of Lichnov, district of Nový Jičín, Lichnov and Bordovice Births and Index to Births 1785-1809, Lichnov, digital image 1, page 1, first entry, 3 February 1785, Johann Wenzel Peter; call number P VIII 3, inventory number 1463, Regional Archives of Opava (ZAO), Opava, Czech Republic; Regional Archives of Opava, Archivní Vade Mecum, http://www.matriky.archives.cz : accessed 12 February 2013.

                          I think the other ideas that y'all have posted are good, too. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. Citation isn't an exact science, I guess!

                          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "kate.challis" wrote:

                          > Hey y'all,
                          >
                          > I was wondering how you cite an image from the matriky.archives database. What are your thoughts?
                          >
                          > Kate

                        • kate.challis
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 12, 2013
                            Did you know that your computer saves information about the date that you first saved a file to your hard drive? It's extra work to include it in a citation, to be sure, but just wanted to point out that you don't have to rely on your memory. Except to remember to do it, haha.

                            I really appreciate your input, by the way. Thanks!