Bachelor's thesis - Czechs in Texas

  • luciepustkov
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
      Dear Sir or Madam,
      I am writing to you with large request. My name is Lucie Pustková and I come from Czech republic. (I am writing in English since I don't know if you still speak Czech). I have been studying history and Czech language for three years. In this year I would like to graduate from university in Brno. As the theme of my Bachelor's thesis I chose The emigration to Texas in the second half of 19th century. I am looking for some contacts (e.g. e-mail adress) for descendants of czech families that emigrated to Texas from North Moravia.
      I would like to ask you for cooperation and help with my thesis. I want to focus on these issues: if the families prospered, if they managed to do better or worse than in the Czech republic. If you were willing to collaborate with me, it would be very helpful.
      I look forward to hearing from you.
      Yours faithfully,
      Lucie Pustková.

      P.S. I thank very much to all the people who sent me a reply!However, I would be glad if someone else would respond to me. I need more contacts:-)
    • George Patrick
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
        Good Evening Lucie,
        My name is george Patrick and my wife's name is Joyce.  We live in Austin, Texas and, being elderly computer users, we both do genealogy both as a hobby and as a way of connecting with our ancestors.  On my father's side of the family his family all came from Moravia around the Hostal kova and horni Becva areas.  My Stepan family ancestors arrived in Texas in 1855 and many of the extended family still live in Texas.These are my grandmother's folks.  My grandfather on my father's side arrived in texas in 1882 and many of these Petrek family still live in Texas also.

        Two or three years ago another Lucie from the CR was also looking for someone in Texas to help with research for her theses and we volunteered to help her out.    Her sister lives here in Austin and, as far as I know, Lucie has finished her studies and I think she was married in the CR recently.  what I would like to do is give you her E-mail address so that you could contact her and discuss how helpful we were to her with her research.  I'm certain she would be happy to discuss her visits to Texas and the times were were fortunate enough to visit with her and her sister.  Very, very nice ladies.

        After communicating with her and if you don't mind working with a couple of elderly folks please contact me and we can go from there with whatever you need for us to do.

        Best Regards from Joyce and I,

        George

        Lucie's E-mail Address:  lmalikova@...

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
          Lucie,
          Sorry.  In addition to being 76 years of age I have a serious visual problem and tend to mix up things sometimes.  The E-mail address for Lucie is for Lucie, erika's sister.

          Erika is the young lady we helped and her E-mail is:

          I am copying lucy and Erika so they won't think I'm nuts!  Sory Erika and lucie and Lucie.

          George

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
            Vanzena Pani Pustkova,

            Muj prastaricek prisel do Texasu kolem roku 1880.  Prijeli z Roznova pod Radhostem na Valakoch.  Esli potrebujete pomoc alebo informace, dajte mi vedet  a vam pomozu.  Je mi 58 let a umin mluvit , psat a cist moravsky ale to by bylo lepsi psat po anglicky.    Tak, esli mate otazky, duram ze mozu vam davam co potrebujete.

            Spanem Bohem  a Pambicek vas zehnaj.

            Vilem Frnka Raley

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
               George. Are you related to the Stepan's living around El Campo, TX? I used to go to our family doctor back in the 50's & 60's to a Dr. Stepan.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 10, 2013

                Ahoj Ms. Pustková,

                I received your contact information through the TéxasCzech Yahoo Users Group and I write in English as my facility with Czech is limited.

                My name is Pavel Kůrečka.  I am descendant of immigrants from Veselí Nad Moravu and Vnorovy.  I have been researching my family ancestry from there and am in regular contact with family in Vnorovy.

                I also have a listing of many who came to the US from Vnorovy though Ellis Island - including my paternal grandfather and grandmother, so I am familiar with the Ellis Island database..

                However, I am not in the Téxas area.  My family came to the state of Michigan.

                If you are interested in  collaboration, please be in contact.

                Pavel

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
                  Ahoj Paul,

                  I thank you, that you answer to me.
                  I´m concentrate to Texas, but I think, that you can tell me some information. In the next week I´m going to send you questionnaire.

                  Have a nice day, Lucie

                  P.S. I´m sorry for my english :)