Re: obit: Rose Mae Spacek Byrd

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2013
      Matt,

      Thanks for pointing-out what I missed when I quickly read Rose's
      obituary. For an obituary including photos of Rose, click on this link:

      http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/wacotrib/obituary.aspx?n=rose-mae-byrd&\
      pid=157985899#fbLoggedOut

      Mike Hejl

      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Matt Cross wrote:

      > Anyone notice the famous names mentioned in this obit? Rose's family
      would also like to thank her nephew and niece Rip Torn and Sissy Spacek
      for their many visits during her illness.

      > To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      > From: roseermis@...
      > Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 19:37:25 -0600
      > Subject: [TexasCzechs] obit: Rose Mae Spacek Byrd
      >

      > Rose Mae Byrd (née Spacek) - a beloved wife, mother, grandmother,
      great grandmother, and celebrated millinery connoisseur - departed this
      world on Thursday, June 7, 2012.

      > She was born on July 20, 1916, in Granger, Texas, to Arnold and Mary
      Spacek (née Cervenka) and was preceded in death by her parents, her
      sister, Thelma Torn, her brothers, Eddie and Sam Spacek, two nieces and
      three nephews, and on March 4, 2000, by her loving husband of 60 years,
      W. Weldon Byrd.

      > She is survived by her son, W. Chapman Byrd and his wife, Barbara, of
      Austin, Texas, and her daughter, Judith Byrd-Burnette, and husband, Dr.
      W. Neal Burnette, of Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Rose also leaves
      behind her adoring grandchildren: Mark C. Byrd of Austin, Brandy Byrd
      Hallford and her husband Jerry of Round Rock, Brittany Byrd Kruse and
      husband Matthew, also of Round Rock, Dr. Rosemary Byrd (Burnette)
      McCullough and her husband Dr. Mark McCullough of Ave Maria, Florida,
      and Ashlee (Burnette) McDonald and husband Aaron of New York City. Seven
      great grandchildren also survive: Ethan, Ambrose, Catherine, and Jude
      McCullough of Florida; Hope Hallford and Lauren and John Kruse of Texas.
      Rose is also survived by her sister-in-law, Nelda Byrd Reed of Marianna,
      Arkansas, and by many cousins, nieces, and nephews in Texas, Virginia,
      New York, Connecticut, Nevada, Arizona, and Oklahoma.

      > Rose graduated a year early from Granger High School, where she was
      proud of her overall academic average of 96%. She excelled in drama,
      piano, and art. She studied expression privately since early childhood
      and starred in her high school senior play, The Red Headed Stepchild,
      won second place in the Williamson County piano meet playing Schubert's
      Serenade, and always felt privileged to have been exposed as a youngster
      to the fine arts; her father always said, "One can be robbed of material
      possessions, but never of one's background or education." As anyone who
      met her could attest, she had a creative flair for style, interior
      design and, of course, for hats!

      > After three years studying speech, art, and education, Rose graduated
      from Southwestern University in Georgetown. She loved teaching and her
      first position was with the Leander Independent School District,
      teaching art and music in first and second grade; for her students, she
      organized a rhythm band which placed first at the county interscholastic
      meet in Georgetown. As a freshman at Southwestern, she met Weldon Byrd,
      a junior, who would become her soul mate and husband of 60 years. In a
      classic wedding where she appeared at the top of the formal staircase,
      they were married in her childhood home in Granger on Sunday, June 2,
      1940. The following day, they arrived in College Station for Weldon to
      register for graduate school in agronomy. After receiving his master's
      degree the following year, Weldon began work in soil conservation with
      the Department of Agriculture; they first lived in Hillsboro and Hewitt
      (near Waco), then Round Rock, San Antonio, moving to Austin in 1951.
      Rose spent the rest of her teaching career as Director of the Child Care
      Center at Pease Elementary School, the oldest continually-operating
      public school in Texas.

      > Her love of Austin was reflected in her many years of work with the
      Heritage Society where she organized the successful "1886 Tea Room" at
      the Driskill Hotel, subsequently working there as a volunteer docent for
      nine years. Rose was a longtime member of the Woman's Symphony League
      and the Austin Woman's Club. She and Weldon were charter members of the
      LBJ Library and Museum Foundation, and Rose remained a member until her
      death. She belonged to the Texas Retired Teachers Association, the Zeta
      Tau Alpha Mother's Club, and for 21 years a member of the Austin Museum
      of Art, Laguna Gloria. Rose collected antiques and especially loved her
      family heirlooms which filled her home on Northwood Road, the home she
      and Weldon named "Wing Haven". Both were avid birdwatchers, enjoying the
      avian antics from their living room window – including those of the
      white-winged doves, cardinals, wrens, the feisty bluebirds,
      hummingbirds, and the occasional lone woodpecker.

      > Rose's favorite prayer was the Prayer for God's Support by John Henry
      Cardinal Newman, which reads: "May He support us all the day long, till
      the shadows lengthen, and the evening comes, and the busy world is
      hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done. Then in His
      mercy, may He give us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at
      last."

      > Rose's family wishes to thank her many friends, Hospice Austin, and
      the Summit at Westlake Hills in Austin for their extraordinary concern
      and care. We wish to particularly note the enduring love of Kay Killen,
      cousin Sister Elizabeth Riebschlager, ccvi, nephew Ed and Tannie Spacek,
      niece Patricia (Torn) and Karl Alexander, Nancy McKesson, Rebecca
      Thrasher Brownlow, and the wonderful staff in skilled nursing at the
      Summit. Rose's family would also like to thank her nephew and niece Rip
      Torn and Sissy Spacek for their many visits during her illness.

      > Her life will be celebrated in a memorial service at 2:00 PM on
      Wednesday, June 13, at Weed-Corley-Fish Funeral Home, 3125 North Lamar,
      Austin, Texas 78705

      > "The love of a mother is never exhausted. It never changes, it never
      tires, it endures through all ... a mother's love still lives on."